Calculating Final Momentum in Inelastic Space Rock Collision

In summary, after a head-on collision between two rocks in outer space, the final momentum of rock 2 is equal to twice the initial momentum of rock 1. However, if the collision is elastic and some kinetic energy is converted into thermal energy, more information would be needed to calculate the final kinetic energy of rock 2.
lebprince

Homework Statement

In outer space rock 1, with mass 6 kg and velocity < 4100, -2900, 3200 > m/s, struck rock 2, which was at rest. After the collision, rock 1's velocity is < 3900, -2400, 3700 > m/s. What is the final momentum of rock 2 (p2f)?

The Attempt at a Solution

ok from my understanding of head on collision of non equal masses (honestly the problem deosnt tell me if they are equal masses or not so i assumed they are not. so i got p2f = 2p1i
that is the final momentum of rock 2 is equal to twice the initial momentum of rock 1.
so initial momentum of rock one = 6 * < 4100, -2900, 3200 > = <24600,-17400,19200> so the final momentum of rock 2 would be 2*<24600,-17400,19200> =<49200,-34800,38400>, but its telling me wrong answer. anything am doing wrong. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Remember momentum is conserved.

mgb_phys said:
Remember momentum is conserved.

ok so the change of momentun in the system + the change of momentum in the surroundings = 0 here we are ignoring the surrounding so pf system - pisystem = 0 ?

lebprince said:

The Attempt at a Solution

ok from my understanding of head on collision of non equal masses (honestly the problem deosnt tell me if they are equal masses or not so i assumed they are not. so i got p2f = 2p1i
that is the final momentum of rock 2 is equal to twice the initial momentum of rock 1.

Hello Lebprince,

How did you manage to achieve this result (i.e. p2f = 2p1i)? Wouldn't it be more accurate if you consider consider the conservation of momentum in each dimension separately, since it is (or, at least the question is) presented as a head-on collision?

Regards,
Horatio

horatio89 said:
Hello Lebprince,

How did you manage to achieve this result (i.e. p2f = 2p1i)? Wouldn't it be more accurate if you consider consider the conservation of momentum in each dimension separately, since it is (or, at least the question is) presented as a head-on collision?

Regards,
Horatio

ok so would this make sense now? p1f + p2f = p1i + p2i ?

so 6<3900,-2400,3700> + p2f = 6<4100,-2900,3200> + <0,0,0> and then i can find p2f?

lebprince said:
ok so would this make sense now? p1f + p2f = p1i + p2i ?

so 6<3900,-2400,3700> + p2f = 6<4100,-2900,3200> + <0,0,0> and then i can find p2f?

If we assume the collision is head-on, your solution would and should be right.

Regards,
Horatio

horatio89 said:
If we assume the collision is head-on, your solution would and should be right.

Regards,
Horatio

Thanks i got that part right. can i get some help on this?

Suppose the collision was elastic (that is, no change in kinetic energy and therefore no change in thermal or other internal energy of the rocks). In that case, after the collision, what is the kinetic energy of rock 2?

i wanted to use K= p^2/2m i have p but i don't have m. so any other way around it? Thanks

You know the magnitude of the velocity change in rock1 and you know it's mass
If no energy is lost all this ke must have all gone into rock 2. You would need the mass of rock2 to get it's speed but not it's ke.

mgb_phys said:
You know the magnitude of the velocity change in rock1 and you know it's mass
If no energy is lost all this ke must have all gone into rock 2. You would need the mass of rock2 to get it's speed but not it's ke.

ok thanks i used Efsystem = Eisystem and figured it out. Thanks but when thermal energy gets involved it confuses me like this question suppose that in the collision some of the kinetic energy is converted into thermal energy of the two rocks, where Ethermal,1 + Ethermal,2 = 1.44106 J. What is the final kinetic energy of rock 2? i just don't get what to do here

If it isn't elastic, ie. if kinetic energy is lost, than you need more information so solve it.

mgb_phys said:
If it isn't elastic, ie. if kinetic energy is lost, than you need more information so solve it.

so if we have an inelastic collision what would i need to calculate DeltaEthermalA + DeltaEthermalB? Thanks

Related to Calculating Final Momentum in Inelastic Space Rock Collision

What is a space rock collision problem?

A space rock collision problem is a potential threat to Earth where an asteroid, comet, or meteoroid enters Earth's atmosphere and collides with the planet's surface. These collisions can cause significant damage and potentially lead to mass extinction events.

How likely is a space rock collision?

The likelihood of a space rock collision depends on the size and trajectory of the object. While smaller objects frequently enter Earth's atmosphere, most are burned up before reaching the surface. Larger objects have a lower probability of collision but pose a greater threat if they do collide.

What measures are being taken to prevent a space rock collision?

Scientists and organizations, such as NASA, are constantly monitoring space for potential threats and working on ways to deflect or destroy objects that could potentially collide with Earth. Some proposed methods include using explosives or redirecting the object's trajectory.

What would be the impact of a space rock collision?

The impact of a space rock collision would depend on the size and composition of the object, as well as the location of the impact. In the worst-case scenario, a large enough object could cause widespread destruction and potentially lead to a global catastrophe.

How can we prepare for a space rock collision?

While the likelihood of a space rock collision is low, it is important to be prepared in case one does occur. This includes continued monitoring and research, as well as developing emergency response plans and potentially creating a system for early detection and warning.