Calculating Force and Momentum: A Catcher's Challenge

In summary, a catcher stops a .250kg ball traveling at 100km/hr in .19s. To calculate the change in momentum of the baseball, we use the equation △p=m(vi-vf), which gives us a result of 25ns. To calculate the force that the catcher applies to the baseball, we use the equation F=m△v/△t and after converting the units, we get a result of 36.55N.
HelpMePLz

Homework Statement

A catcher stops a .250kg ball traveling at 100km/hr in .19s.
a. Calculate the change in momentum of the baseball [-6.9ns]
b. Calculate the force the catcher applies to the baseball [-36.5n]

Homework Equations

△p=m△v
f△t=m△v

The Attempt at a Solution

a. △p=m△v
△p=m(vi-vf)
△p=mvi-mvf
△p=(.25kg*100m/s)-(.25kg*0m/s)
△p=25ns

b. F△t=m△v
F=m△v-△t
F=((.25kg*100m/s)-(.25kg*0m/s))-(.19s)
F=24.81n

Both answers are wrong. Correct me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your attempt you have 100m/s but in your question, you have 100km/hr, you see the difference? Looks like you need to do a conversion.

You need to pay more attention to the units. Getting the units right in these problems is usually the most difficult part. 100 km/hr is not the same as 100 m/s.

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
Yes! Thank you so much. I will be careful with the units.
And attempt to solution B, I was using an Impulse formula and I made a mistake.
When you try to solve for the Force. You must divide time from the force.
So It would be,
F(.19s)/.19s=(.25kg*27.78m/s)/.19s
F=36.55 N

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
I think this is now correct.

1. What is the difference between force and momentum?

Force is a measure of the physical interaction between two objects, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion. Force causes an object to accelerate, while momentum describes the object's current state of motion.

2. How do you calculate force in a force and momentum problem?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. This is represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. The unit for force is Newtons (N).

3. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.

4. How do you calculate momentum in a force and momentum problem?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. This is represented by the equation p=mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The unit for momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

5. How does the mass and velocity of objects affect their momentum in a collision?

In a collision, the momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. This means that the greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its momentum and the more force it will exert in a collision.