How Do You Calculate the Force of a Laser with Given Power and Light Speed?

In summary: Now I know how to calculate it, but I still don't know how to calculate it with the given values P= 100W and c= 3e8m/s, because I don't know the time (or N).In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the force of a laser using the given values of power P=100W and the velocity of light. The equations considered include E=f*h and p=h/λ, with the final equation being F=P/c. The conversation also touches on the definition of force and how it relates to power. However, there is still uncertainty on how to calculate the force with the given values without knowing the time or number of photons emitted.
Lindsayyyy
Hi

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the force of a laser. Given are the power P= 100W and the velocity of light.

Homework Equations

equations I considered using:

[tex] E=f \cdot h [/tex] and [tex] p=\frac {h}{\lambda} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually that's all I got so far. I also considered P=F*v but I don't think I'm allowed to use this formula (I'm not familiar with the physics of lasers). Does anyone have some hints for me?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Lindsayyyy said:
Hi

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the force of a laser. Given are the power P= 100W and the velocity of light.

Homework Equations

equations I considered using:

[tex] E=f \cdot h [/tex] and [tex] p=\frac {h}{\lambda} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually that's all I got so far. I also considered P=F*v but I don't think I'm allowed to use this formula (I'm not familiar with the physics of lasers). Does anyone have some hints for me?

Thank you

I guess you're calculating the force exerted by a laser on a body that absorbs all the incident radiation. The collisions of photons against this body can be said to be inelastic.

The energy of a single photon E = pc.

What's the energy of N photons?

Let's say those N photons are emitted uniformly over time T.

Can you think of how to derive the power of the laser from that equation?

What's the definition of force (hint: rate of change of _____)?

Can you now see the relationship between power and force? It's essentially the same as P = Fv, except we derived it without making Newtonian assumptions (which don't really apply here).

The laser is creating a stream of photons where each photon carries a definite amount of momentum. Newton's second law of motion can be expressed in terms of momentum as force equals rate of change of momentum. So, in the case of the laser, the force will be the total amount of photon momentum created every second.

[Note added: Sorry, I did not see Curious3141's comment. He posted his while I was still constructing my comment. Also, I was thinking of the reaction force on the laser rather than the force on the object that is hit by the laser beam. The forces are the same if the object completely absorbs the laser light, as Curious3141 says.]

Last edited:
yeah sorry, forget to write that aswell, it's getting absorbed.
[tex] P=\frac {dE}{dt}[/tex]

and force is equal to [tex] F=\frac {dp}{dt}[/tex]

so [tex] F=\frac {dp}{dE} \cdot P [/tex] ?

I insert the terms for E and P I wrote down in my first post with f= c/lambda

and get [tex] F=\frac {P}{c}[/tex]

is that right?

Thanks for your help

edit: no need to be sorry, I'm happy for every help I can get. Reading the same thing from different people/source makes it easier to understand sometimes:)

That's correct. Good.

Lindsayyyy said:
yeah sorry, forget to write that aswell, it's getting absorbed.
[tex] P=\frac {dE}{dt}[/tex]

and force is equal to [tex] F=\frac {dp}{dt}[/tex]

so [tex] F=\frac {dp}{dE} \cdot P [/tex] ?

I insert the terms for E and P I wrote down in my first post with f= c/lambda

and get [tex] F=\frac {P}{c}[/tex]

is that right?

Thanks for your help

edit: no need to be sorry, I'm happy for every help I can get. Reading the same thing from different people/source makes it easier to understand sometimes:)

Looks good, although I would be careful about defining your terms properly. E refers to the energy of the photon beam, not a single photon, and so forth. I introduced the N term to deal with this. You didn't, which is fine, but it's important to be clear with your definitions when you write these things out.

As I said, your final expression is analogous to F = P/v, as in classical mechanics.

Ok, thank you

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Force of a Laser with Given Power and Light Speed?

1. How do you calculate the force of a laser?

The force of a laser can be calculated using the formula F = P/c, where F is the force, P is the power of the laser, and c is the speed of light.

2. What unit is used to measure the force of a laser?

The force of a laser is typically measured in Newtons (N), which is the standard unit for force in the International System of Units (SI).

3. How does the wavelength of a laser affect its force?

The wavelength of a laser does not directly affect its force. However, it can impact the energy and intensity of the laser, which can in turn affect the force.

4. Can the force of a laser be increased?

Yes, the force of a laser can be increased by increasing the power of the laser or using a higher intensity laser. However, this may also require proper safety precautions to be taken.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the force of a laser?

The accuracy of calculating the force of a laser can be affected by factors such as the quality and precision of the equipment used, environmental conditions, and any potential interference from external sources.

Back