1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating gravity in rotating frame(ECR)

1. Dec 12, 2003 #1
    In reading through URL=ftp://164.214.2.65/pub/gig/tr8350.2/wgs84fin.pdf]this[/URL] pdf I came across the potential described on pg 51. I have no problem with the spherical harmonic expansion of the gravitational force, however I'm a bit confused about the phi potential added to account for the Earth's rotation. I think this only gives the the "centrifugal" force. Assuming the gravity vector that results is in ECR (Earth Centered Rotating, if I was going to rotate the acceleration given by this formula into ECI (Earth Centered Inertial)(from ECR), wouldn't I also need to add a coriolis term? or at least not add the coriolis term when doing the rotation? I have been told otherwise which is why I ask. BTW the position must be in ECR as the formula for V, the gravitational potential, is in terms of geodetic lattitude and longitude.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted