Calculating Gril's Max Distance on Plank Supported by 2 Points

In summary, the conversation discusses a plank that is supported from two points and the distance a girl weighing 48 kg can walk on the plank before it starts to rotate. The middle of the plank is its gravity point and there is a picture provided for reference. The masses of the plank and girl, as well as the length and support points, are given. The equations used to solve the problem include Summ F=0, Summ M=0, G=mg, and M=Fr. The solution involves taking moments about point B and setting Na to zero when the plank starts to turn. The final answer is calculated to be 0.44597 meters.
procol

Homework Statement

A plank is supported from two points. How far can a gril that weights 48 kg walk on the plank before the plank starts to rotate?. Middle of plank is its gravity point.

Picture: I have added a picture that might tell a bit more(not so good at English :/)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24296&stc=1&d=1268318353

m1= mass of the plank = 80kg
m2= mass of gril = 48kg
L plank = 5m
Support point A= 2.5m from center of plank mass/gravity
Support point B= 0.3m from center of plank mass/gravity

Homework Equations

Summ F=0
Summ M=0
G=mg
M=Fr

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tryed a few equitions but have not had any luck.

Na= support point A
Nb= support point B
Gp= Plank gravity center
Gg= Girl Gravity
Na+Nb-Gp-Gg=0

Thx for Help

Attachments

• Picture Balance.JPG
    Picture Balance.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 622
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi procol! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, she's a"girl" … but i like her hair! :biggrin:)

Hint: when the plank starts to turn, Na will be zero.

So take moments about B. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi procol! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, she's a"girl" … but i like her hair! :biggrin:)

Hint: when the plank starts to turn, Na will be zero.

So take moments about B. :wink:

Ok thanks a lot I will try now :D

I counted the force which point B applys on the plank if the gril is not standing on it and i got to 700N.
I used that in this equition: Nb x Nr = Gg x r -------> rg = Nb x Nr / Gg

(700N x 0.3m) / (9.81m/s^2 x 48kg) = 0.44597m...

Is this Right :D?

Hi procol! :smile:
procol said:
I counted the force which point B applys on the plank if the gril is not standing on it and i got to 700N.
I used that in this equition: Nb x Nr = Gg x r -------> rg = Nb x Nr / Gg

(700N x 0.3m) / (9.81m/s^2 x 48kg) = 0.44597m...

Is this Right :D?

Yes, except for the 700N … I don't understand where you got that from. :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Hi procol! :smile:Yes, except for the 700N … I don't understand where you got that from. :confused:

The 700N I got from counting what support forces the two points A and B have to support the plank without it rotateing or moving when the gril is not standing on the plank.

F=0

Na + Nb - Gp = 0

M=0

-Na x ra + Nb x rb = 0

Na x ra = Nb x rb

Nax 2.5m = Nb x 0.3m

2.5Na - 0.3Nb = 0

Making equition par of both equitions with force and force momment:

2.5Na - 0.3Nb = 0
Na + Nb - Gp = 0

2.5Na - 0.3Nb = 0
Na + Nb - Gp = 0 x 0.3

2.5Na - 0.3Nb = 0
0.3Na + 0.3Nb - 0.3Gp = 0

2.8Na - 0.3Gp = 0

2.8Na = 0.3Gp

Na = (3/28)Gp

G = 80kg x 9.81m/s^2 = 784.8N

Na = 784.8N x (3/28) = 84.085N

Gp - Na = Nb

784.8N - 84.085N = 700,714N = 700N there I got it.

procol said:
The 700N I got from counting what support forces the two points A and B have to support the plank without it rotateing or moving when the gril is not standing on the plank.

No, the forces when the girl isn't there are irrelevant.

Just use the forces on your diagram. :smile:

(and remember, when the plank starts to turn, Na will be zero)

tiny-tim said:
No, the forces when the girl isn't there are irrelevant.

Just use the forces on your diagram. :smile:

(and remember, when the plank starts to turn, Na will be zero)

ok :D ty

Related to Calculating Gril's Max Distance on Plank Supported by 2 Points

1. How do you calculate the maximum distance a girl can go on a plank supported by two points?

The maximum distance a girl can go on a plank supported by two points can be calculated using the formula d = (L/2) + (L^2/8h), where d is the maximum distance, L is the length of the plank, and h is the height of the support points.

2. What are the factors that affect the maximum distance a girl can go on a plank?

The factors that affect the maximum distance a girl can go on a plank include the length of the plank, the height of the support points, and the weight of the girl. The angle of the plank and the material of the plank may also have an impact.

3. How can you determine the height of the support points for a given maximum distance?

The height of the support points can be determined by rearranging the formula d = (L/2) + (L^2/8h) to solve for h. This will give you the minimum height required for the support points to achieve the desired maximum distance. Keep in mind that the actual height of the support points may need to be slightly higher to account for factors such as the weight of the plank and the girl.

4. Can the maximum distance a girl can go on a plank be increased by using more than two support points?

Yes, the maximum distance can be increased by using more than two support points. The formula for calculating the maximum distance on a plank with multiple support points is more complex and takes into account the spacing and positioning of the support points, but the principle remains the same.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating the maximum distance on a plank supported by two points?

Yes, safety precautions should always be considered when calculating the maximum distance on a plank. It is important to use sturdy support points, ensure the plank is in good condition and can support the weight of the girl, and have proper supervision and safety measures in place. It is also important to consider the weight and height of the girl and to not exceed the maximum distance recommended for the given parameters.