1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Light Level at a Point

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    I haven't used my high school physics education in a really long time but I need to here at work for a very simple problem. I am an urban planner and we deal with lighting regulations a lot. I am trying to calculate the light level (in footcandles) at a given point. I am using the following general equation:

[footcandles] = [light level in lumens of the source light] / [direct distance from point to light source]^2

All I need to know is what units do I use to measure the distance? Meters, feet, inches? Would I measure the distance in feet since my light unit is footcandles? I know the standard scientific measurement unit is meters or some derivation there of, but I wanted to ask here just to be sure. Many thanks in advance.

Eric

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Feet. A footcandle is defined in units of lumens/ft^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook