How Is the Parabolic Path y=x^2 Related to the Line Integral Calculation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a curve C and the parametrization of the curve in terms of a parameter t. The integral of a vector field F along the curve C does not depend on the specific choice of parametrization, as long as certain constraints are met. The conversation also mentions the use of dot product and the shape of C, which is parabolic in this case. It is concluded that a simple choice for x(t) and y(t) would be x(t) = t and y(t) = (x(t))^2.
gl0ck

Homework Statement

lineintegrals_zpsc07a6d02.jpg

Homework Equations

Trued only 1st question..
Unfortunately I lost my notes about this and cannot find anything relevant to this.
I think,
cF.dr = ∫cF.dr/dt dt ..
also dr/dt isn't it = ∂x/∂ti +∂y/∂tj+∂z/∂tk
Also it seems that C is with parabolic shape?
Can someone tell me what is the relationship with y=x^2 and 't'
Also if there is just dot product of F and ∂x/∂ti +∂y/∂tj+∂z/∂tk and boundaries of integral 0 and 1
why he have this y=x^2 from (0,0) to (1,1) ?
I think I miss something general here..

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
##t## is the parameter of the curve, so that the curve can be described by ##x = f(t), y = g(t), z = h(t) ##. In your case, you can simply let ##x = t ##.

gl0ck said:

Homework Statement

lineintegrals_zpsc07a6d02.jpg

Homework Equations

Trued only 1st question..
Unfortunately I lost my notes about this and cannot find anything relevant to this.
I think,
cF.dr = ∫cF.dr/dt dt ..
also dr/dt isn't it = ∂x/∂ti +∂y/∂tj+∂z/∂tk
Also it seems that C is with parabolic shape?
Can someone tell me what is the relationship with y=x^2 and 't'

The principle is that [itex]C[/itex] can be parametrized by any [itex]\mathbf{r}(t) = (x(t),y(t))[/itex] such that [itex]\mathbf{r}(0) = (0,0)[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{r}(1) = (1,1)[/itex], together with [itex]\|d\mathbf{r}/dt\| > 0[/itex] for all [itex]t \in (0,1)[/itex] and [itex]y(t) = (x(t))^2[/itex] for all [itex]t \in (0,1)[/itex]. Subject to those constraints the integral doesn't depend on the particular choice of [itex]\mathbf{r}(t)[/itex].

Can you think of a simple choice for [itex]x(t)[/itex] and [itex]y(t)[/itex]?

I got it it was simpler that I thought .. Thanks for the time :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3az4t1r6sj52rkw/IMG_20140415_224810.jpg

FAQ: How Is the Parabolic Path y=x^2 Related to the Line Integral Calculation?

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used in mathematics to calculate the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function along a specific path or curve.

What is the formula for calculating a line integral?

The formula for calculating a line integral is ∫C F(x,y) ds, where F(x,y) is the function being integrated, C is the path or curve along which the integration is being done, and ds is the infinitesimal line element along the curve.

What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is calculated along a specific path or curve, while a regular integral is calculated over a specific interval. Line integrals are typically used in vector calculus, while regular integrals are used in single-variable calculus.

How is a line integral used in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, line integrals are used to calculate physical quantities such as work, energy, and force along a specific path or curve. They are also used in electromagnetism to calculate the magnetic field around a wire or the electric potential around a charged particle.

What are some common applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have a wide range of applications, including calculating the work done by a force along a specific path, finding the distance traveled by a moving object, and determining the circulation of a vector field. They are also used in applications such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics.