1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating line integral

1. Apr 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lineintegrals_zpsc07a6d02.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    Trued only 1st question..
    Unfortunately I lost my notes about this and cannot find anything relevant to this.
    I think,
    cF.dr = ∫cF.dr/dt dt ..
    also dr/dt isn't it = ∂x/∂ti +∂y/∂tj+∂z/∂tk
    Also it seems that C is with parabolic shape?
    Can someone tell me what is the relationship with y=x^2 and 't'
    Also if there is just dot product of F and ∂x/∂ti +∂y/∂tj+∂z/∂tk and boundaries of integral 0 and 1
    why he have this y=x^2 from (0,0) to (1,1) ?
    I think I miss something general here..

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2014 #2
    ##t## is the parameter of the curve, so that the curve can be described by ##x = f(t), y = g(t), z = h(t) ##. In your case, you can simply let ##x = t ##.

4. Apr 15, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

The principle is that [itex]C[/itex] can be parametrized by any [itex]\mathbf{r}(t) = (x(t),y(t))[/itex] such that [itex]\mathbf{r}(0) = (0,0)[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{r}(1) = (1,1)[/itex], together with [itex]\|d\mathbf{r}/dt\| > 0[/itex] for all [itex]t \in (0,1)[/itex] and [itex]y(t) = (x(t))^2[/itex] for all [itex]t \in (0,1)[/itex]. Subject to those constraints the integral doesn't depend on the particular choice of [itex]\mathbf{r}(t)[/itex].

Can you think of a simple choice for [itex]x(t)[/itex] and [itex]y(t)[/itex]?

5. Apr 15, 2014 #4
    I got it it was simpler that I thought .. Thanks for the time :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3az4t1r6sj52rkw/IMG_20140415_224810.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted