1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating magnetic flux density using Biot-Savart law.

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1
    Hello, all. I have been working on the following problem and was wondering if someone could check my work and provide some valuable input:
    hJAsGCN.png
    Here is my work:
    ajT4OsT.jpg

What do you guys think about my approach to this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is r, why do you consider z if everything happens in the x/y plane? Where does the expression for ##\vec{R}## come from?
    In particular, how can your result depend on "r" which does not appear in the problem statement? The direction of the answer does not seem to make sense - how can something at the origin point in the direction of an angle?

Did you try to use cylindrical coordinates? I don't think that helps.

I don't understand why you integrate from -a to a.

I think you forgot to multiply the final result by 3 for the three wires, but there are several other things to fix first.

4. Apr 5, 2015 #3

You are correct. Neither dl nor R should have components along ez. Since the triangle lies in the x-y plane (z=0), dl should have components along ex and ey. Also, R should only have components along ex and ey because it's pointing from the location of dl , which is in the x-y plane, to the origin, which is also in the x-y plane. Accordingly, the cross product dl x R would come out to be along ez, which is what we should expect from the right hand rule.

I am having a hard time computing dl and R. When I find dl and R it's a simple substitution into dB from there. Could you show me how you would calculate dl and R ?

5. Apr 5, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you find the coordinates of the three corners? dl will be along one of the edges - there is an easy one and two more complicated edges. R follows from the choice of the edge. Note that it varies along the length of the wire.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted