1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating magnitude of electric field at center of square

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the magnitude and direction of net electric field at the center of the square array of charges. Find [itex] E_x and E_y [/itex]

The square array of charges http://postimg.org/image/4gf94ymmf/

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at drawing in the force vectors http://postimg.org/image/mae0fm1d9/ . Now the +3q and +q's should contribute a net of zero to the electric field and they can be ignored. So, we have [itex] E = k [ -2q^2 / d^2 + q^2/d^2 + 5q^2/d^2] = 4k q^2/d^2[/itex]

Taking the x-component of the field we have
    [itex] E_x = (4k q^2/d^2)cos(45)[/itex]

the y-component:
    [itex] E_x = (4k q^2/d^2)sin(45)[/itex]

This isn't right or I would not be posting here... so what am I doing wrong? I'm really not understanding how to do these types of problems for net fields in squares. Have I even drawn the vectors correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You're missing a term.

4. Sep 9, 2015 #3
    The missing term is the -5q charge, yes? So it should be
    [itex]E=k[−2q/(\sqrt2 * d)+q/(\sqrt 2 * d) + 2(5q/(\sqrt 2 * d))= k[9q / (\sqrt 2 * d)][/itex]

Also, changed q^2 to q since this is the electric field not force... silly mistake, and the bottom term should be [itex] \sqrt 2 * d [/itex] instead of d^2?

This is still incorrect is not? I'm really not seeing what I'm missing here.

5. Sep 9, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Methinks that should do almost do it (dumped the picture, so I'm going by memory); the "two" and "one" are both on axes? In which case "d."

6. Sep 9, 2015 #5
    Ah fair point forgot about those being strictly on the x-axis, so need to fix that then resolve into E_x and E_y for the respective terms and then take the square root of those squared for the magnitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted