Calculating Mass of Precipitate in a Chemical Reaction

• Thread starter darkwatcher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the purpose of the conversation was to determine the mass of precipitate produced in a reaction between 10ml of 0.20 mol/L carbonate and 20ml of 0.225 mol/L calcium chloride. The procedure for the reaction was understood, but there was confusion about the calculations involving stoichiometry and the solubility product. The correct equation for the reaction was provided and the molar masses were calculated. However, there was still uncertainty about how to proceed with the stoichiometry and determining the solubility product for CaCO3.
darkwatcher
I have this lab in class, and i have not done chemsitry for a while..Can anyone help me with this...much thankful

purpose: To determine the mass of percipitate produced when 10ml of 0.20 mol/L carbonate reacts with 20 ml of 0.225 mol/L calcium chloride..

For the procedure i think i am ok

but the calculation is where i have no idea how to start..
any help would be helpful

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the precipitation reaction and then use the solubility product.

chemisttree said:
Start with the precipitation reaction and then use the solubility product.

thank you for the reply..but I am still confused..i balanced out the equation which is
CaCl(2)(aq)+ Na(2)CO3(aq)-----> Ca(CO3)(l)+2NaCl(aq)

and then the moler mass are:
1) 10ml of 0.20 mol/l sodium carbonate is 0.01*0.20=0.002
2) 20ml of 0,225 mol/l calcium chloride is 0.020*0.225=0.0045

and the mass of the participate is 2.82g -2.60g(mass of the filter) = .72g

but now i have no idea where to go...i know i have to do stoichiometry but i am so confusedd

Plz anyone help

Now, what is the solubility product for CaCO3?

Correction: Your equation should be

CaCl(2)(aq)+ Na(2)CO3(aq)-----> Ca(CO3)(s)+2NaCl(aq)

Related to Calculating Mass of Precipitate in a Chemical Reaction

1. How do you calculate the mass of reactants in a chemical reaction?

The mass of reactants in a chemical reaction can be calculated by using the equation: mass of reactants = mass of products - mass of substances consumed or produced during the reaction. This means that you subtract the mass of the products from the total mass of substances involved in the reaction to determine the mass of the reactants.

2. Can you use any unit of measurement to calculate the mass of reactants?

No, it is important to use consistent units of measurement when calculating the mass of reactants. It is best to use units of mass such as grams (g) or kilograms (kg) to ensure accurate calculations.

3. Why is calculating the mass of reactants important?

Calculating the mass of reactants is important because it allows you to determine the amount of substances needed for a reaction, as well as predict the amount of products that will be produced. This information is crucial for conducting experiments and ensuring the success of a reaction.

4. Is there a specific order in which the mass of reactants should be calculated?

Yes, when calculating the mass of reactants, it is important to first determine the mass of the products, then subtract the mass of any substances consumed or produced during the reaction. This will give you the mass of the reactants involved in the reaction.

5. Can the mass of reactants change during a chemical reaction?

Yes, the mass of reactants can change during a chemical reaction due to the formation of new products or the consumption of reactants. However, the total mass of substances involved in the reaction will always remain constant, according to the law of conservation of mass.