Calculating Mass Sliding on a Slope

In summary, the block slides down the slope and conserves energy. At the bottom of the slope, the total energy is 15750 kg.
hodgepodge

Homework Statement

A 15 kg mass is sliding at 30 m/s when it encounters a slope (smooth=no friction) and descends 60 m. It encounters a horizontal rough stretch (friction = 80N in opp. direction). Calculate the velocity at x=0 (rough stretch starts here), x=50, x=100, x=200. Calculate where it comes to a stop.

MASS
_______
h =60m \
...\friction = 80N for horizontal line only (indicated by ~)
....\~~~~~~~~~~
.....x=0 x= 50...

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on the problem?

i do not know how to do the sliding part to get the initial speed, but i think from x=0 i would use w=K final- K initial, which would be (friction x m x g)x= 1/2 x mass x final velocity -1/2 x mass x initial velocity

also, when i calculate the velocity for x=50, do i use the final velocity for x=0 for the initial velocity for x=50, or do i use the velocity from when it came down the slope for initial velocity for x=50

Last edited:
Let's stick to the first question initially. Can you think of some quantity that will be conserved whilst the block is sliding down the slope?

i guess energy would be conserved

this would be easrier but i have a lack of formulas

hodgepodge said:
i guess energy would be conserved

this would be easrier but i have a lack of formulas
That would be correct. Hopefully, the formulas will come to you as we talk though it.

What two forms of energy are involved in the block sliding down the slope?

kinetic and potential

hodgepodge said:
kinetic and potential
Good. So you know that the sum of the potential and kinetic energy at the top and the bottom of the slope must be equal.

What is the value of the total energy at the top of the slope?

Total energy = PE + KE
TE = mgh+1/2 x m x v squared
TE= 9000+6750
TE=15750

i used g=10

now wat?

can anybody help with this?

As you know energy is conserved.

[tex] E_{total\ before}=E_{total\ after} [/tex]

[tex] Eg1+Ek1+Et=Eg2+Ek2 [/tex]

[tex] mgh_{1}+\frac{1}{2}mv_{1}^2-F_{f} \triangle d = mgh_{2} +\frac{1}{2}mv_{2}^2 [/tex]

always make the lowest point have a gravitational energy of zero

wat is Ff change in d?

Ff (80N) is the force in friction and Change in d is x

thank you so much bright wang

Related to Calculating Mass Sliding on a Slope

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass sliding on a slope?

The formula for calculating the mass sliding on a slope is m = μmg(cosθ + sinθ), where m is the mass, μ is the coefficient of friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope.

2. How do I determine the coefficient of friction for a given surface?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting a simple experiment where you measure the force required to slide an object across the surface at a constant speed. The coefficient of friction is then calculated by dividing this force by the weight of the object.

3. Can the angle of the slope affect the mass required for sliding?

Yes, the angle of the slope can affect the mass required for sliding. As the angle of the slope increases, the force of gravity acting on the object also increases, making it more difficult for the object to stay in place and requiring a greater mass to keep it from sliding.

4. Is the mass of the object the only factor that affects sliding on a slope?

No, the mass of the object is not the only factor that affects sliding on a slope. The coefficient of friction, angle of the slope, and acceleration due to gravity also play significant roles in determining the amount of force required to keep an object from sliding on a slope.

5. How can I use the mass sliding on a slope formula in real-world situations?

The mass sliding on a slope formula can be used in various real-world situations, such as calculating the minimum mass required for a car to safely drive up a steep hill or determining the weight limit for a person to safely walk on a slippery surface. It can also be used in engineering and construction to ensure stability and prevent accidents.