Calculating Material Used in a Cylinder of given Thickness

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
you878
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
When given a cylinder with radius, height and thickness, how does one go about computing the amount of material used in making the cylinder?

Initially I thought the amount would be:
[itex]Material=2\pi r^{2}t+2\pi r h t[/itex]
where [itex]t[/itex] is the thickness of the cylinder.

Looking at this equation however, I realized that by default (without given a thickness for the cylinder) one would assume a thickness of one. This didn't make sense to me, however, because a surface with unspecified thickness should have no thickness right?

Perhaps I am thinking about this in the wrong way.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is good if t is small compared to r and h. Otherwise, a more precise method would be to calculate the volume of the solid cylinder V(r,h), and then subtract the volume of the empty space V(r-t, h-2t).