Calculating Normal Vectors for 2D Surfaces: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in calculating the normal vector n given the coordinates of the center c, the side of the square s, and the length of the plank l below the square. They initially assumed the vector to be (0,1) but found discrepancies with their measured results. The conversation also includes a discussion about the relevance of the square and its center of mass, and the speaker provides information about their experiment involving a square piece being dropped onto a plank and measuring various values.
hoang anh tuan
Can you guys show me how to calculate the normal vector n, given that i know the coordinates of the center c (c1,c2),
the side of the square (let's call it s), and the length of the plank (l) below the square?

i am taking the assumption that n is (0,1), which seems to be incorrect, because the result i get from using this value does not tally with what i see in the results that i measured.
vector_n.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hoang anh tuan said:
Can you guys show me how to calculate the normal vector n, given that i know the coordinates of the center c (c1,c2),
the side of the square (let's call it s), and the length of the plank (l) below the square?

i am taking the assumption that n is (0,1), which seems to be incorrect, because the result i get from using this value does not tally with what i see in the results that i measured.View attachment 75701
The normal vector to what? Is n the normal to the plank? The plank appears to be horizontal, but no coordinate system is shown, so I can't say whether the plank is horizontal.

What does the square have to do with anything? If you want an answer, you need to provide more information.

Sorry for my lacks of info. Yes, n is normal to the plank, and the plank is horizontal, the square is just an object where i get the coordinate of its center of mass c, a circle or a polygon will do as well.

Last edited:
hoang anh tuan said:
Sorry for my lacks of info. Yes, n is normal to the plank, and the plank is horizontal, the square is just an object where i get the coordinate of its center of mass c, a circle or a polygon will do as well.
Why do you care about the square or its center of mass? A normal to the plank is the vector <0, 1>, which could be written as 0i + 1j.
hoang anh tuan said:
the result i get from using this value does not tally with what i see in the results that i measured.
What results are you measuring?

Mark44 said:
Why do you care about the square or its center of mass? A normal to the plank is the vector <0, 1>, which could be written as 0i + 1j.
What results are you measuring?
It's actually used to measure post-impact velocity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_response), when the object bounces off, i am trying (0,1) for the normal vector as well, but the result does not really tally with what i see when i measure it, will it matter if the plank is not on the ground but higher up?

Since the plank is three-dimensional, a normal would be <0, 0, 1>, a vector that points straight up. If the plank is horizontal, then this would also be a normal to the plank, whether the plank is on the ground or elevated above the ground.

If you are dropping an object on the plank and it's not bouncing straight up, it could be that the object is rotating when it hits, which could change the direction of the recoil. It's hard to say, because you still haven't given many details about what you are doing.

It am having an experiment where a flat square piece is dropped onto a small plank (almost flat as well, probably 5mm thick) and the camera on top of the set up can give information on the displacement in x,y of the square, angle of rotation, speed in x and y as well as angular velocity. I am trying to calculate the post impact velocities of the square based the values measured right before the impact.

Related to Calculating Normal Vectors for 2D Surfaces: A Scientific Approach

1. What is a normal vector?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface at a specific point. It is used to determine the orientation and direction of the surface at that point.

2. How is the normal vector of a 2d-surface calculated?

The normal vector of a 2d-surface can be calculated by taking the cross product of two tangent vectors on the surface. These tangent vectors are typically found by taking the partial derivatives of the surface's equation.

3. Why is the normal vector important?

The normal vector is important because it is used in many mathematical and physical applications, such as determining the direction of a force on a surface, calculating surface area, and finding the angle of incidence for light rays.

4. Can the normal vector change at different points on a 2d-surface?

Yes, the normal vector can change at different points on a 2d-surface. This is because the surface may have varying curvature or slope at different points, resulting in different tangent vectors and therefore a different normal vector.

5. How is the normal vector related to the gradient of a function?

The normal vector is related to the gradient of a function through the gradient theorem, which states that the gradient of a function is perpendicular to the level curves of that function. This means that the gradient vector can also be considered the normal vector to the surface created by the function.