Calculating optical properties of an arbitrary gas?

In summary: Variations_with_pressureThe absorption spectra of gases can be measured and modeled, however it is a complex subject and not easily computable.
Artlav
Hello.

Is there a way to calculate properties of a gas, given only it's composition?

I.e. let's say i want to know what would a planet look like with an atmosphere of a mix of 50% gaseous sulphur and 50% gaseous mercury, at 500*C and surface pressure of half that of Earth.
How would i go about calculating that just from basic laws?

I kind of know where to start regarding the pressure, density and so on, but i have no idea how to get the refractive index and light absorption by wavelength, for example.

Is it even possible?
If so, what should i look for?

Science news on Phys.org
These properties (light absorption spectra ) can be experimentally verified, measured, however it is too complicated to compute from pure physical theories. The theories pertaining to light absorption and so on are quantum physics, which don't permit easy computation - anything beyond a helium atoms is to complex to work out,analytically, only approximately. So we are reduced at this level to empirical study in many respects.

Hm, interesting.

Two directions then.

First, how do you compute it for a helium atom, even approximately?
I'm looking for key words.

Second, is there enough empirical data to calculate a refractive index for common gasses at given conditions?
I found data sets online (i.e. http://refractiveindex.info ), but they only show it at or near sea level pressure and temperature.

The Refractive index can be inferred from electromagnetic theory, and density of material. I can tell you that Helium has the record lowest refractive index of all the elements. As for spectral absorption which is more important, that may be calculated with perturbation theory in Quantum Physics. I don't know if we can accurately predict much beyond the spectrum of Hydrogen. We can explain a lot of phenomena. Maybe we can, my Quantum understanding is quite limited.

I can also tell you Gold is gold coloured because of relativity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_quantum_chemistry#Color_of_gold_and_caesium

You go look on Physical chemistry charts for the spectral absorption.

Gases in general have very low refractive indices, however the refractive index varies approximately linearly with pressure. (n-1 is proportional to pressure) Furthermore, there are many complications. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index

1. What are the factors that affect the optical properties of a gas?

The optical properties of a gas are affected by its chemical composition, temperature, pressure, and density. These factors can alter the absorption, emission, and scattering of light by the gas molecules.

2. How do you calculate the refractive index of a gas?

The refractive index of a gas can be calculated by using the Gladstone-Dale equation, which relates the refractive index to the density of the gas. It can also be calculated using the Lorentz-Lorenz equation, which takes into account the polarizability of the gas molecules.

3. Can the optical properties of a gas be measured experimentally?

Yes, the optical properties of a gas can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as spectroscopy, interferometry, and ellipsometry. These methods involve measuring the interaction of light with the gas and analyzing the results to determine its optical properties.

4. How do you account for the effects of temperature and pressure in calculating the optical properties of a gas?

The effects of temperature and pressure can be accounted for by using the ideal gas law, which relates these variables to the density of the gas. This information can then be used in the equations for calculating the refractive index and other optical properties.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the optical properties of a gas?

There are certain limitations to calculating the optical properties of a gas, as it is a complex system that involves interactions between many molecules. The accuracy of the calculations may also vary depending on the assumptions made and the experimental conditions. Additionally, the properties of some gases may be more difficult to calculate due to their complex molecular structures.