Calculating or Modeling Resistance of a Complex 3-D Shape

In summary, the conversation is discussing methods for calculating the resistance of complex 3-D shapes. The person is looking for modeling software that can accurately represent the resistivity of a material in a specific shape, and also allow visualization of current density. One suggestion is to use FEM software, but it may not be specifically designed for this purpose. Another person mentions that it is possible to calculate the resistance analytically if the shape can be described mathematically, but it may require advanced mathematical equations.
vlado4
Hello all!

I am looking for a method to calculate or model a resistance of a complex 3-D shape.

For example if I have the resistivity of a material, and I know the shape (let's say a cone), I would like to be able to model the resistance which this shape will produce.

I am looking for modeling software which would be good for this.

Also, it would be cool to be able to visualize the current density going through the conductor.
This would be particularly useful to identify current crowding and hot spots.

Has anyone else done this? Does anyone have recommendations?

Likes MrHappyTree
Engineering news on Phys.org
You'd probably be able to solve your problem with FEM software, such as:

http://www.ansoft.com/products/em/maxwell/

This software isn't exactly suited for finding resistivity of complex objects, but it's representative of FEM software.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible to do analytically, if you can describe the shape mathematically that is.

I remember calculating the resistance of a quarter washer using standard electromagnetic equations. I remember it was difficult, used a lot of vector calculus.

1. How do you calculate the resistance of a complex 3-D shape?

The resistance of a complex 3-D shape can be calculated by using the formula R = ρ x (L/A), where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the shape, and A is the cross-sectional area of the shape.

2. What factors affect the resistance of a complex 3-D shape?

The resistance of a complex 3-D shape is affected by the resistivity of the material, the length and cross-sectional area of the shape, and the temperature of the material.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its resistance?

The shape of an object can affect its resistance as it can impact the length and cross-sectional area of the object, which are factors in the resistance calculation. A more complex shape may have a higher resistance compared to a simpler shape with the same length and cross-sectional area.

4. Can resistance be modeled for a complex 3-D shape?

Yes, resistance can be modeled for a complex 3-D shape using mathematical equations and computer simulations. This allows for more accurate predictions of resistance for various shapes and materials.

5. How can the resistance of a complex 3-D shape be reduced?

The resistance of a complex 3-D shape can be reduced by using materials with lower resistivity, shortening the length of the shape, or increasing the cross-sectional area. Additionally, shaping the object to have a simpler and more streamlined form can also reduce resistance.