Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating or Modeling Resistance of a Complex 3-D Shape

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    Hello all!

I am looking for a method to calculate or model a resistance of a complex 3-D shape.

For example if I have the resistivity of a material, and I know the shape (let's say a cone), I would like to be able to model the resistance which this shape will produce.

I am looking for modeling software which would be good for this.

Also, it would be cool to be able to visualize the current density going through the conductor.
    This would be particularly useful to identify current crowding and hot spots.

Has anyone else done this? Does anyone have recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2009 #2
    You'd probably be able to solve your problem with FEM software, such as:

http://www.ansoft.com/products/em/maxwell/ [Broken]

This software isn't exactly suited for finding resistivity of complex objects, but it's representative of FEM software.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Nov 14, 2009 #3
    It is possible to do analytically, if you can describe the shape mathematically that is.

I remember calculating the resistance of a quarter washer using standard electromagnetic equations. I remember it was difficult, used alot of vector calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook