Calculating Paint Volume for a 100x100 Block Structure

• Thread starter mrShaun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paint
In summary, the conversation is about finding the amount of paint needed to cover 10,000 blocks that are 97cm wide, 97cm deep, and 93cm tall. Assuming all six sides of each block will be painted, the total surface area in cm^2 is 55678 and it would require 18559 1/3 liters of paint. However, since each block has 4 sides that are 97*97 and 2 sides that are 97*93, it is unclear if all six sides will be painted. The original problem was edited to specify that 1 liter of paint covers 3 square meters, leading to the conclusion that 185.5 million liters of paint would be needed
mrShaun
Please help (wrote the question wrong) please help

Me and my friend have this question we were asked and we don't know it but if you have 100 blocks by 100 blocks 97cm wide 97cm deep 93 cm tall.

1 liter of paint covers 3 square meters how many liters of paint would you need rounded up.

Please help and thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the measurements referr to the individual blocks, they each have 4 sides that are 97*97 and 2 that are 97*93. Hence each block is 55678 cm^2 and need 18559 1/3 liter of paint. You have ten thousand, so multiply that in too. You'll end up needing about 185.5 million liters (~49 million US gallon, roughly the total US house paint production during the past two months, btw. Hey, perhaps I should write pop science..).

While it's got to be some pretty strange paint to only cover 3 cm^2/l (~1.76 square inches per gallon. A gallon wouldn't be enough to paint the front and back of a postage stamp), that be the numbers..

LarrrSDonald said:
While it's got to be some pretty strange paint to only cover 3 cm^2/l
Uh...
3 square meters.

You have an array of blocks: 100x100, correct? That's a total of 10,000 blocks.

You want all six sides of each block painted? You don't specify.

Presuming you do, each block will have a surface area of
2x 97x97 + 4x 97x93 cm^2.
Now multiply that by the number of blocks: x10,000 - which equals your total surface area in cm^2 - then convert it to m^2 (i.e. coincidentally, dividing by 10,000).

You now know the total area to bre covered, in m^2, and you know 1 litre covers 3 m^2. How many litres will you need?

It was originally 1l/cm^2, the post has since been edited (with good reason) to reflect the actual problem (personally I usually put littled [EDIT] notes at the bottom explaining potential changes to avoid just this sort of problem, that way it's more obvious what was changed and why later posts don't necessarily reflect the new content). I was told this in a PM but since it smelled a bit of homework in my book I just went over the methods.

1. How many liters of paint do I need to paint a room?

The amount of paint needed to cover a room depends on the size of the room and the type of paint being used. As a general rule, one gallon (3.78 liters) of paint can cover around 400 square feet (37 square meters) of wall space. To calculate the exact amount of paint needed, measure the length and width of the walls and multiply them to get the total square footage. Then, divide that number by 400 to get the number of gallons needed. For example, a room with walls that add up to 800 square feet would require 2 gallons of paint.

2. How many liters of paint do I need to paint a car?

The amount of paint needed to paint a car varies depending on the size of the car and the type of paint being used. On average, a small car may require around 2-3 liters of paint, while a larger SUV may need 4-5 liters. For a more accurate estimate, consult with a professional painter or refer to the manufacturer's instructions for the specific type of paint being used.

3. How many liters of paint do I need for a paint sprayer?

The amount of paint needed for a paint sprayer also depends on the size of the area being painted and the type of paint being used. Most paint sprayers come with a recommended coverage rate, typically in terms of gallons per hour. To calculate the amount of paint needed, multiply the recommended coverage rate by the number of hours it will take to complete the project. For example, if the recommended coverage rate is 1 gallon per hour and the project will take 4 hours, 4 gallons (15 liters) of paint will be needed.

4. How many liters of paint do I need for a primer?

The amount of primer needed depends on the type of primer being used and the condition of the surface being primed. As a general rule, one gallon (3.78 liters) of primer can cover around 200-300 square feet (19-28 square meters) of surface. To calculate the exact amount needed, measure the surface area and divide it by the recommended coverage rate of the primer being used. For example, a surface area of 600 square feet would require 2-3 gallons (7.5-11 liters) of primer.

5. How many liters of paint do I need for a textured wall?

The amount of paint needed for a textured wall will vary depending on the texture and the desired coverage. As a general rule, textured walls may require more paint than smooth walls, as the texture will absorb more paint. It is recommended to consult with a professional painter or refer to the manufacturer's instructions for the specific type of paint being used to determine the amount needed for a textured wall.