Calculating Percent Uncertainty of Circle Area w/ Radius 1.8x10^4 cm

In summary, the conversation was about finding the percent uncertainty in the area of a circle with a radius of 1.8 x 10^4 cm. The equation A=Pi x r^2 was used to calculate the area, but there was uncertainty in the initial measurement of the radius. The uncertainty was estimated to be +/- 1 in the last significant figure, resulting in a percent uncertainty of 5.6%. However, the correct answer was determined to be 11%, and further explanation was requested.
future_vet

Homework Statement

What is the percent uncertainty in the area of a circle whose raduis is 1.8 x 10^4 cm?

Homework Equations

I calculated A=Pi x r^2 = 1017876020
After that, I am lost...

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The thing is, I don't know what was used to measure the radius. Can I still know what the uncertainty is to calculate the %age?

Thanks!

If I'm not given any direct information about the uncertainty in the initial measurement (here, the radius), I take it to be +/- 1 in the last significant figure. In this case the uncertainty in the radius would be [itex]0.1 \times 10^4[/itex] cm.

Thanks a lot!

I calculated the percent uncertainty to be 5.6%. I think it is correct...

Apparently this is not the correct answer! please help me ...

Thanks!

Ok it was 11%... I don't understand why though... If you could walk me through the thinking process, I'd be grateful. I will know how to do such a problem next time... Thanks!

Related to Calculating Percent Uncertainty of Circle Area w/ Radius 1.8x10^4 cm

1. How do you calculate the percent uncertainty of circle area with a radius of 1.8x10^4 cm?

To calculate the percent uncertainty of circle area with a given radius, you first need to find the uncertainty in the radius value. This can be done by finding the difference between the largest and smallest possible values for the radius (e.g. 1.85x10^4 cm and 1.75x10^4 cm). Then, divide this uncertainty value by the original radius value (1.8x10^4 cm). Finally, multiply this result by 100 to get the percent uncertainty.

2. Why is it important to calculate percent uncertainty in scientific measurements?

Calculating percent uncertainty allows scientists to understand the level of precision and accuracy in their measurements. It helps to identify any potential sources of error and ensure the reliability of the data. Additionally, it allows for proper comparison of results between different experiments or studies.

3. Can the percent uncertainty of circle area be negative?

No, the percent uncertainty of circle area cannot be negative. This value is always a positive number, as it represents the ratio of the uncertainty to the original value.

4. How do you express the uncertainty in the area of a circle with a given radius?

The uncertainty in the area of a circle with a given radius is typically expressed in square units (e.g. cm^2 or m^2). This is because the area of a circle is measured in square units, and the uncertainty value is a proportionate measure of this area.

5. What is a common source of uncertainty when calculating the area of a circle with a given radius?

A common source of uncertainty in this calculation is the measurement of the radius itself. Depending on the precision of the measuring tool used, there can be a degree of uncertainty in the reported value of the radius. Other sources of uncertainty could include variations in the shape of the circle or the method used to calculate the area.