Calculating pH & pOH of AgNO2 Solution

• Thread starter aqwsde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary: The pOH will be close to 6.In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to finding the pH and pOH of a solution containing 0.1g of Silver Nitrite (AgNO2; ksp = 6 x 10^-4) dissolved in 100 mL of water, as well as the importance of considering the amount of NO2 ions available and the equilibrium between AgNO2, Ag+, NO2-, HNO2, and OH-. The final solution is found to have a pH close to neutral and a pOH close to 6.
aqwsde

Homework Statement

If 0.1g of Silver Nitrite (AgNO2; ksp = 6 x 10^-4) is added to 100 mL of water, what would the pH and pOH be? Note: The Ka for HNO2 is 7.2 x 10^-4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am not sure how to approach this except for the fact that and NO2- that dissociates will participate in a acid base reaction with water so it will be a basic solution.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you know that NO2 is what will change the pH (and pOH). But what if we are only talking about a few NO2 ions? Will that change the pH by much? What if there are a whole bunch of NO2 ions available?

Try to determine how much N02 has dissolved and is floating around in the water ready to react with hydronium ions. Does the entire .1g of Silver Nitrate dissolve?

My thinking on the approach was that although the Ksp is small (i.e. not much will go into solution) since NO2- + H2O ----> HNO2 + OH- has a Kb = .1389 (Kw/Ka) it will shift the initial equilibrium of AgNO2 <---> Ag+ + NO2- to the right.

I still don't know where to go though and I really need to figure this out. I have my final tomorrow and really need to be able to understand this. Please help me out.

Ok Here is what I am thinking, let me know if this seems right:

.1gAgNO2/.1L*(1mol/153.875g)*(1mol Ag+/mol AgNO2) = .006499M Ag+ = x

Similarly .006499M NO2- = x

Q = x^2 = 4.2x10^-5 < Ksp => not saturated (all will disolve)

now [NO2-]i = 4.2x10^-5

setting up ice table yields:

Kb = .1389 = y^2/4.2x10^-5

y= 2.42x10^-3 = [OH-]
=> pOH = 2.62
pH = 11.38

now [NO2-]i = 4.2x10^-5
Why is this true?

woops [NO2-]i = .006499
y= .0300 = [OH-]
pOH = 1.52
pH = 12.35

Kb = .1389 (Kw/Ka)

Is this correct?
If Kb = kw / ka
Kb = 1x10^-14 / 7.2x10^-4
kb = 1.3889x10^-11

I wonder if you've missed a couple... decimal places :)

Do you have the answer for this question? I think I can help you but it's been awhile since I've done these kind of questions.

pH of the solution will be very close to neutral, between 7 and 8.

1. How do you calculate the pH of an AgNO2 solution?

To calculate the pH of an AgNO2 solution, you first need to determine the concentration of the solution. Then, use the equation pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions. This can be calculated using the ionization constant of AgNO2 and the concentration of Ag+ ions in the solution.

2. What is the ionization constant of AgNO2?

The ionization constant of AgNO2 is the equilibrium constant for the dissociation of AgNO2 into Ag+ and NO2-. It is equal to 1.8 x 10^-4 at 25 degrees Celsius.

3. Can you use the same equation to calculate the pOH of an AgNO2 solution?

Yes, the same equation pH = -log[H+] can be used to calculate the pOH of an AgNO2 solution. However, instead of using the concentration of hydrogen ions, you would use the concentration of hydroxide ions ([OH-]) and the ionization constant of water (1.0 x 10^-14) to calculate pOH = -log[OH-].

4. How does the pH of an AgNO2 solution change with increasing concentration?

The pH of an AgNO2 solution will decrease (become more acidic) with increasing concentration. This is because the concentration of hydrogen ions increases, causing a decrease in pH.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the pH of an AgNO2 solution?

Yes, the pH of an AgNO2 solution can also be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other acidic or basic substances. Additionally, the pH may change over time due to the decomposition of AgNO2 into Ag+ and NO2-.