Can Excel's BINOMDIST function accurately calculate roulette probabilities?

• Thread starter Roulette
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: It is much easier to use than that equation. I will try that one instead.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of probability in a game of roulette, specifically the probability of a specific bet appearing a certain number of times in a given number of spins. The formula for calculating this probability is given as P(e) = (n!/(x!(n-x)!)) P(b)^x (1-P(b))^n-x, but it is noted that the Binomial Distribution or the Poisson approximation may also be used. The conversation ends with a discussion about different calculators that can be used for these types of calculations.
Roulette
Hello I have a basic but quite difficult question about roulette probabilities (assuming roulette has 37 numbers 0-36). I need a general formula for calculating the probability of an event, given specific parameters:
We need to calculate the probability P(e) of the event E = [Bet B appearing X times in N trials(ie. spins) ]
We know:
N= the numbers of spins
X=the number of times a specific bet wins/appears in those N trials (spins)
P(b) = the probability of bet B for a single spin/trial.
How do we calculate the probability of [Bet B appearing X times in N trials(spins) ]?

For example what is the probability of a specific number appearing exactly 1 time in 37 spins, given it’s probability is 1/37?
What’s the formula?
Can we in the same way calculate, let’s say the probability of 12 specific numbers (probability 12/37) coming 2 times in 5 spins etc.?

I have tried to devise a formula which you can see here: http://www.roulette30.com/2014/01/calculating-probability-roulette.html
P(e) = (n!/(x!(n-x)!)) P(b)^x
But I think it is incorrect since it gives an extremely low probability of a specific number appearing exactly 1 time in 37 spins.

Maybe this is the correct formula?
P(e) = (n!/(x!(n-x)!)) P(b)^x (1-P(b))^n-x
But this again gives an extremely low probability of a specific number appearing exactly 1 time in 37 spins, if my calculations are correct.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Roulette said:
Maybe this is the correct formula?
P(e) = (n!/(x!(n-x)!)) P(b)^x (1-P(b))^n-x
But this again gives an extremely low probability of a specific number appearing exactly 1 time in 37 spins, if my calculations are correct.

Thanks in advance.

What do you get for this? I get 0.373 for a number appearing exactly once in 37 spins. And 0.362 that it doesn't appear. And 0.186 that it appears twice.

That formula is correct. If you do x = 0, 1, 2 ... and add them all up it will come to 1.

Hi PeroK,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and actually do the calculations.
Maybe I did an error in the calculation of P(e) = (n!/(x!(n-x)!)) P(b)^x (1-P(b))^n-x . I found it much lower, but you are probably correct.
And yes I did consult wikipedia about it.

And one more question, what kind of calculator do you use for such complicated functions and often very long numbers? (I use google's scientific calculator)

Thanks again

Last edited:
Roulette said:
Hi PeroK,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and actually do the calculations.
Maybe I did an error in the calculation of P(e) = (n!/(x!(n-x)!)) P(b)^x (1-P(b))^n-x . I found it much lower, but you are probably correct. So this is the correct equation to calculate the described probability?
And yes I did consult wikipedia about it.

And one more question, what kind of calculator do you use for such complicated functions and often very long numbers? (I use google's scientific calculator)

I found a BINOMDIST function in Excel!

Related to Can Excel's BINOMDIST function accurately calculate roulette probabilities?

1. What is the probability of winning at roulette?

The probability of winning at roulette depends on the type of bet you place. If you bet on a specific number, the probability is 1/37 (or 1/38 in American roulette). If you bet on a color or odd/even, the probability is 18/37 (or 18/38 in American roulette). However, the house always has a slight advantage, so the overall probability of winning is less than 50%.

2. Is there a way to increase my chances of winning at roulette?

No, roulette is a game of chance and there is no strategy or method that can guarantee a win. Each spin is independent of the previous one, so there is no way to predict the outcome.

3. What is the difference between American and European roulette?

The main difference between American and European roulette is the number of pockets on the wheel. American roulette has 38 pockets, including a 0 and 00, while European roulette has 37 pockets, with only one 0. This gives American roulette a higher house edge.

4. Can I use the previous results to predict the next outcome in roulette?

No, as mentioned earlier, each spin is independent and the previous results have no influence on the next outcome. The roulette wheel has no memory, so the probability of landing on a specific number or color remains the same with each spin.

5. Are there any betting systems that can help me win at roulette?

There are many betting systems that claim to increase your chances of winning at roulette, such as the Martingale system or the Fibonacci system. However, these systems have been proven to be ineffective in the long run and can actually lead to bigger losses. It is best to approach roulette as a game of chance and bet responsibly, rather than relying on a betting system.