Calculating Reaction Force at A for a Beam with Pin Joint | Beam Homework

In summary: It looks like you have two equations for the beam--one for when it's resting on the wall at E, and another for when it's not. When the beam is not resting on the wall at E, the pin at B is exerting a force, so you would need to add that force to the equilibrium equation. However, when the beam is resting on the wall at E, the pin at B is not exerting a force, so the equilibrium equation would be equal to 0.
Jonski

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 5.21.42 pm.png

Calculate the reaction force at A?

Homework Equations

ΣMb = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

As there is a pin joint at B it is possible to consider the bar only from A-B.
From here I applied
ΣMb = 0
120 + 20*2 + Ay*4 = 0
This gives Ay = -40kn
Also since there are no forces in the x direction Ax = 0
and Hence A = -40kn or 40n downwards
However this is wrong. I am not sure what I am doing wrong unless it is something that the sum of the y forces don't equal 0, but I think there would be a force at By= 60kn up to combat this.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
120kN.m is a moment about A isn't it?
What is the reasoning that suggests that you need only consider the A-B length?
The pin connection at B does not stop rotation about B caused by the force distribution on B-E - just prevents translation of that point.

So would the FBD look like this:
Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 12.40.31 pm.png

The question says consider the reactions at A and D to be rollers, so thus there is no horizontal force

Jonski said:
So would the FBD look like this:
View attachment 98083
The question says consider the reactions at A and D to be rollers, so thus there is no horizontal force
The pin at point B can develop a force, but it cannot sustain a moment. That's what's missing from your FBD above.

SteamKing said:
The pin at point B can develop a force, but it cannot sustain a moment. That's what's missing from your FBD above.
So would I add a vertical and horizontal force at point B and then use the equations of equilibrium to solve?

Jonski said:
So would I add a vertical and horizontal force at point B and then use the equations of equilibrium to solve?
You can add a horizontal force at pin B, but it looks like all of the applied loads are vertical.

SteamKing said:
You can add a horizontal force at pin B, but it looks like all of the applied loads are vertical.
So you're saying it is there, but it would just be zero. Also I'm assuming then that Ex would be 0?
If i do that won't I end up with more unknowns than equations, in which case it would be unsolvable.

Jonski said:
So you're saying it is there, but it would just be zero. Also I'm assuming then that Ex would be 0?
If i do that won't I end up with more unknowns than equations, in which case it would be unsolvable.
That's unlikely, since there are only two supports for the entire beam.

BTW, the beam is only resting against the wall at E. It can't develop a moment at that location, only an axial force.

SteamKing said:
That's unlikely, since there are only two supports for the entire beam.

BTW, the beam is only resting against the wall at E. It can't develop a moment at that location, only an axial force.

So would the FBD look more like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 2.02.04 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 2.02.04 pm.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 511
Jonski said:
So would the FBD look more like this:
Yes, that's more like it.

In my estimation, I believe that the wording in this problem is not very good. When it says "resting against a wall", I think it implies "resting atop a wall", otherwise, with the hinge at B, the beam would be unstable.

The force from the pin at B is internal, so when drawing the FBD of the entire beam system, that reaction doesn't enter into the equilibrium equation. I would proceeded by isolating AB first, but you have to be careful with your plus and minus signs, and interpretation of them.

What is reaction force in a beam?

Reaction force in a beam refers to the force that is exerted by a support or constraint on a beam in response to the loads applied to the beam. This force is necessary to maintain the equilibrium of the beam and prevent it from collapsing.

How is reaction force calculated in a beam?

The reaction force in a beam can be calculated by summing up all the external forces and moments acting on the beam, and then solving for the unknown reaction forces using the equations of static equilibrium.

What are the types of reaction forces in a beam?

The two types of reaction forces in a beam are vertical reactions and horizontal reactions. Vertical reactions are forces that act perpendicular to the beam's axis, while horizontal reactions act parallel to the beam's axis.

What factors affect the magnitude of reaction force in a beam?

The magnitude of reaction force in a beam is affected by the type and location of the support or constraint, as well as the magnitude and direction of the external loads applied to the beam.

Why is it important to consider reaction force in beam design?

Considering reaction force is crucial in beam design to ensure that the beam can support the applied loads without failing. Neglecting to account for reaction forces can result in unstable or unsafe beam structures.