Calculating reliable bits of op-amp circuit

In summary, an 8 bit converter will be overkill for this application because the amplifier's error is only 1.22%.
geft
For some reason I can't get the answer right. It is given as 6 bits but I calculated it to be 5. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
The max output is when Vin = 10 mV and equals 2.5000V if the op amp gain Aol is infinite.

The min output you would get for the same output if Aol = 1e4 is as you have correctly computed.

So calculating the % error is obvious.

As for finding the max number of accurate bits: how many bits would the adc have to have in order to produce a 1 lsb (least significant bit) error?

The gain error is 2.44% as is given in parentheses, but since that is the next part of the question I didn't think it's needed for part (ii). To have 7 reliable bits (1111 111X), it needs 254 bits and for 6 bits (1111 11XX), it needs 252 bits?

Assume an 8 bit converter. For that the LSB is 1/28 of full scale. That would be 1/28 = 0.391% of full scale. Since you can get 2.44% error from the amplifier, obvioulsly an 8 bit converter would be overkill.

Now try that with 7 bit, then 6 bit, then 5 bit converter.

BTW not to confuse you further, but the answer to part b is really not correct. The max error is +/- 1.22%. For a 2.500V input the output is + 2.4695 +/- 0.0305V.

In short, you can do part b first, then do part a. Or you can work with just the voltages as you did. Same difference.

The incorrect answer is mine or the given one? With 5 bits it's 3.125% and for 6 bits it's 1.563%, neither of which is 2.44%, so I guess neither is correct?

geft said:
The incorrect answer is mine or the given one? With 5 bits it's 3.125% and for 6 bits it's 1.563%, neither of which is 2.44%, so I guess neither is correct?

The point is: your converter's resolution should be better than the error ascribable to the amplifier, but not beyond that.

With a 5 bit your resolution is 3.13%, obviously worse than the error, so that's not a good choice. With 6 bits the resolution is 1.56% which is below the amp's error, so that's better than a 5 bit converter. If you go 7 bits you get 0.078% resolution which is 2:1 better than with a 6 bit, but the LSB now is meaningless.

Bottom line: pick the converter with resolution just better (lower %) than the amp error, but not unnecessarily better. That makes a 6 bit the optimum, the most economical, choice. (Converters get more expensive as the no. of bits increases, other things being equal).

1. How do I determine the reliable bits of an op-amp circuit?

To calculate the reliable bits of an op-amp circuit, you need to consider the resolution of the op-amp, the tolerances of the components, and the noise level of the circuit. This information can be used to determine the maximum number of bits that can be reliably resolved by the circuit.

2. What is the significance of reliable bits in an op-amp circuit?

The reliable bits of an op-amp circuit determine the level of accuracy and precision that can be achieved in the output signal. It is important to consider these bits when designing a circuit to ensure the desired level of performance is achieved.

3. Can I increase the number of reliable bits in an op-amp circuit?

Yes, the number of reliable bits in an op-amp circuit can be increased by using higher precision components, reducing the noise level of the circuit, or implementing signal processing techniques such as oversampling.

4. How does the input voltage range affect the reliable bits of an op-amp circuit?

The input voltage range of an op-amp circuit can limit the reliable bits that can be achieved. If the input voltage exceeds the maximum or minimum range of the op-amp, the output will become distorted and the reliable bits will decrease.

5. Are there any tools or methods to aid in calculating reliable bits of an op-amp circuit?

Yes, there are various tools and methods available to aid in calculating the reliable bits of an op-amp circuit. These include simulation software, datasheets for components, and mathematical equations for noise analysis and resolution calculations.