1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating resistance from voltage drop

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    On a test in college I was asked to find the current flowing through a resistor and lightbulb on a simple circuit with a battery, resistor and lightbulb. I was told the resistance of the resistor and was given a voltmeter so I measured the voltage across each of the components but when it came to calculating the current I couldn't because I didn't know the resistance of the lightbulb. I'm assuming I could have calculated its resistance since I knew the voltage drop caused by the resistor since I knew the resistance of the resistor. How would you go about calculating the resistance of a component when you know the voltage drop caused by it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ohm's law.

R = E/I

4. May 1, 2010 #3
    Measure the voltage across the resistor, then I = E/R. Now you know the current through the circuit if it is a series circuit. Measure the voltage across the light bulb, then apply R= E/I.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook