Calculating Solar Core Radius Using Emden's Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of the sun's interior and the use of Emden's equation to calculate the core radius and inner core variables. The speaker has found a way to determine the core radius by using a homologous polytropic core with epsilon, mean epsilon, rho, and mean rho, and a constant lamda. However, they are unsure if this approach is the most accurate way to determine the core radius and are seeking advice. The conversation also touches on the use of a 3-polytrope model for the sun and the definition of the core radius.
Helios
I've begun a study of the sun's interior and Emden's equation. Yet nowhere on the web does anyone divulge how to calculate the core radius or the inner core variables. One thing I did was to suppose a homologous polytropic core ( n = 3 ) with:
epsilon = energy generation rate
mean epsilon = L / M
rho = density
mean rho = M / V
so I postulated the homology:
epsilon (center) / epsilon (mean) = rho (center) / rho (mean) = eta
This immediately leads to results that closely match one computer model I found, with
core radius = .2643 R = eta^(-1/3) R,
but my approach seems ad hoc. Any help?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The sun isn't very well approximated by an n=3 polytrope (or any polytrope, for that matter), but if you wish to model it that way, you shouldn't need to guess the central density or temperature. These should fall out naturally when you insist that the total mass be equal to the observed mass of the sun (assuming the usual solar composition).

A 3-polytrope is a very good model of the sun. If you disagree, please explain. I did not "guess" at the central density or temperature. I know these derivations. I asked for a way to determine the core radius.

Helios said:
A 3-polytrope is a very good model of the sun. If you disagree, please explain.

The sun has both radiative and convective regions, so has a non-uniform equation of state. Of the simple models, however, n=3 probably is the best.

I did not "guess" at the central density or temperature.

Where did your value of "eta" come from?

I know these derivations. I asked for a way to determine the core radius.

Once given a mass, radius, and polytropic index, I was under the impression you would be able to model the entire star and take from that whatever parameters you want (though I've never done it myself). How are you defining the core radius?

Eta is used as a some ratio like epsilon/ mean epsilon or the like.
Chandrasekhar ( in 1939 ) uses it when presenting several star models in his book " Intro to Stellar Structure" at the time when fusion was not well understood.
Lamda is a constant of the polytrope formulation ( = 54.1825 for n=3 ) and ( by proof ) equals rho ( center ) / rho ( mean )
So I set Eta = epsilon (center) / epsilon (mean)
and supposed Eta = Lamda, a homology.
How do I define the core radius? It's the radius where the energy generation equals zero and luminosity becomes constant. The core I defined borrows the polytrope mathematics of the sun at large and replaces density with energy generation rate and mass with luminosity -- a sort of sun within a sun. Then as easy as comparing similar triangles, a core radius can be computed, which looks good ( core = .2643 R ), but is somewhat ad hoc.

I would now rather use lamda instead of eta to avoid any confusion, hence;
epsilon (center) / epsilon (mean) = rho (center) / rho (mean) = lamda = 54.1825

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Solar Core Radius Using Emden's Equation

What is Emden's equation and how is it used in calculating solar core radius?

Emden's equation is a mathematical equation used to model the density distribution of a spherically symmetric structure, such as the sun. It takes into account various parameters such as temperature, pressure, and density to calculate the structure of the object. In the case of calculating solar core radius, Emden's equation is used to model the density distribution of the sun's core.

What are the assumptions made when using Emden's equation to calculate solar core radius?

There are several assumptions made when using Emden's equation to calculate solar core radius. These include assuming the sun is a perfect sphere, that the density is constant throughout the core, and that the temperature and pressure are in equilibrium.

How accurate is Emden's equation in calculating solar core radius?

Emden's equation is a simplified model and therefore may not be 100% accurate in calculating solar core radius. However, it is a widely accepted and used method in the scientific community and provides a good estimation of the core radius.

What other factors should be considered when calculating solar core radius?

In addition to using Emden's equation, other factors such as the sun's rotation, magnetic field, and composition should also be taken into account when calculating solar core radius. These can have an impact on the structure and density distribution of the core.

How does calculating solar core radius using Emden's equation contribute to our understanding of the sun?

Calculating solar core radius using Emden's equation helps us better understand the internal structure of the sun. This information can then be used to study its energy production, magnetic activity, and other important processes that occur in the core. It also allows us to make comparisons with other stars and gain a deeper understanding of stellar evolution.