Calculating Speed of Cars Prior to Collision: Mass, Velocity After Impact

• Thread starter Garvage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: If you have a starting position and an end position, you can use these equations to find the velocities between those two points.If you don't have a starting position, you can use these equations to find the velocities of a point in between two other points.Both methods work, but I think the second one is easier.In summary, the first car had a velocity of 52km/hr, 310deg, and the second car had a velocity of 40km/hr, 320deg.
Garvage
Two cars collide at an intersection. The first car has a mass of 925kg and was traveling north. The second car has a mass of 1075kg and was traveling west. Immediatly after impact, the first car had a velocity of 52km/hr, 310deg, and the second car had a velocity of 40km/hr, 320deg. What was the speed of each car prior to the collision?

Ok.
Is there a velocity formula I can use? One In terms ov V and M?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think these are the formulas, but I'm not sure.

[tex]V_{1}=\left(\begin{array}(\underline{(M_{1}+M_{2})}\\(M_{1}-M_{2})\end{array}\right)V_{1}'[/tex]

[tex]V_{2}=\left(\begin{array}({(2M_{1})}\\\overline{(M_{1}-M_{2})}\end{array}\right)V_{2}'[/tex]

Can anyone help?

Yes, those equations are right.

What about getting the right directions? When I use those equations the velocity comes out to be negative. Do I just switch the direction?

Garvage said:
I think these are the formulas, but I'm not sure.

[tex]V_{1}=\left(\begin{array}(\underline{(M_{1}+M_{2})}\\(M_{1}-M_{2})\end{array}\right)V_{1}'[/tex]

[tex]V_{2}=\left(\begin{array}({(2M_{1})}\\\overline{(M_{1}-M_{2})}\end{array}\right)V_{2}'[/tex]

Can anyone help?
Correction:
This formula only applies when a moving ball (A) collides with a stationary ball (B). In this case, you can't use this equation. Rather, you have to use conservation of linear momentum (break down into horiz and vert components). The final and initial horizontal momentum is always conserved. The same goes for the vertical momentum.

So, after I break up the V1' and V2' velocities into horizontal and vertical vectors, can I solve for all four using those formulas? Aslo, what do I do about the velocities being negative since [tex]M_{1}-M_{2}[/tex] is negative?

Garvage said:
So, after I break up the V1' and V2' velocities into horizontal and vertical vectors, can I solve for all four using those formulas? Aslo, what do I do about the velocities being negative since [tex]M_{1}-M_{2}[/tex] is negative?
I don't think you can use those formulae at all, since both masses are moving initially. As far as negative velocities, they simply mean the mass is traveling in a negative direction (this can be anywhere, since it depends what you define as the "positive" direction).

Well, that's not good news. Are there any formulae I can use?

As far as I know, only

[tex]Momentum_{horiz/initial}=Momentum_{hor/final}[/tex]

and

[tex]Momentum_{vert/initial}=Momentum_{vert/final}[/tex]

The only problem is, it seems you're missing one piece of information reguarding the initial speeds.

Yeah, what I am missing is what it's asking me to find.

Oh yeah, I read the question again, and you do have enough info. Do you understand how to solve it now? :rolleyes:

Related to Calculating Speed of Cars Prior to Collision: Mass, Velocity After Impact

What is the formula for calculating speed of a car prior to collision?

The formula for calculating speed of a car prior to collision is: speed = mass x velocity

How do you determine the mass of a car before a collision?

The mass of a car can be determined by using a scale or by finding the weight of the car in kilograms. The weight can be converted to mass by dividing by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

What units are used for velocity when calculating the speed of a car prior to collision?

The units for velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h) when calculating the speed of a car prior to collision. However, any unit of distance over time can be used as long as it is consistent with the units used for mass.

Can the speed of a car prior to collision be accurately calculated?

In theory, yes, the speed of a car prior to collision can be accurately calculated using the formula mentioned above. However, in practice, there may be factors such as human error or external forces that can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

What is the significance of calculating the speed of cars prior to collision?

Calculating the speed of cars prior to collision can provide valuable information for accident reconstruction, determining fault, and improving safety measures. It can also help in understanding the severity of the collision and potential injuries sustained by those involved.