Calculating Tension in a Static System

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving vectors and tension. The attempted solution resulted in backwards signs and confusion about the direction of the vector. It is clarified that the tension vector points from B towards A, and there is a weight pulling downwards that needs to be countered by the cable pulling upwards. The conversation ends with a thank you and a humorous comment about pushing with a cable.
thinkcentre12

Homework Statement

35197w2.jpg

Homework Equations

The answer in the back on the book shows 4.06i -7.61j + 5.07k. I do not understand why my signs are backwards.

The Attempt at a Solution

w1uwlv.jpg

I ended with -4.06i +7.61j - 5.07k

Physics news on Phys.org
The tension involved is a vector that points from B towards A. You've created a vector rab that points from A to B.

ok thank you. Since i did not see an arrow i was not sure which direction to pick. How did you tell?

thinkcentre12 said:
ok thank you. Since i did not see an arrow i was not sure which direction to pick. How did you tell?
It's difficult to push with a cable :)

gneill said:
The tension involved is a vector that points from B towards A. You've created a vector rab that points from A to B.

gneill said:
It's difficult to push with a cable :)
That is a good point. Thank you

thinkcentre12 said:
That is a good point. Thank you

Additionally, there is a weight pulling the boom downwards (or in the negative z-direction). In order to counteract this, the cable needs to pull it upwards (positive z-direction).

1. How do you calculate tension in a static system?

In order to calculate tension in a static system, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, use the equation T = Fcosθ, where T represents tension, F represents the force acting on the object, and θ represents the angle between the force and the direction of the object.

2. What are the common units for tension?

The most common units for tension are Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). These units represent the amount of force required to stretch or pull an object.

3. How does the angle of the object affect the tension?

The angle of the object affects the tension by changing the direction of the force acting on the object. The greater the angle between the force and the object's direction, the smaller the tension will be.

4. Can tension be negative?

Yes, tension can be negative. A negative tension value indicates that the force is pulling in the opposite direction of the object's direction. This can occur when the object is being pushed or pulled from both ends.

5. How do you determine the tension in a rope or cable?

To determine the tension in a rope or cable, you need to know the weight of the object being supported by the rope and the angle at which the rope is being pulled. You can then use the equation T = mg/cosθ, where T represents tension, m represents mass, g represents acceleration due to gravity, and θ represents the angle of the rope.