Calculating the Area of a Circle on S^2 in the Spherical Metric

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
halvizo1031
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
I need help with this problem:

given a cirlce on S^2 of radius p in the spherical metric, show that its area is 2pi(1-cos p)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi halvizo1031! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a rho: ρ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
halvizo1031 said:
given a cirlce on S^2 of radius p in the spherical metric, show that its area is 2pi(1-cos p)

Divide the circular region into ring-shaped slices of thickness ds, and integrate …

what do you get? :smile:​
 
halvizo1031 said:
I'm not sure I understand what you wrote.

Divide the circle into rings …

the area of each ring is its thickness times its length (ie its perimeter) …

use the metric to find the length of the perimeter of each ring …

then add up the areas of all the rings :smile: