Calculating the Area of a Circle Segment with Given Radius and Angle

In summary: Thanks for the reply pongo38. I might be confusing myself. If I take area of the whole circle and subtract it with the area of the triangle, won't that give me the area of the smaller...circle?No, the smaller circle is the one that is the radius of the larger circle. No, the smaller circle is the one that is the radius of the larger circle.
skybox
Hi all, I am having an issue trying to solve the following problem

Homework Statement

PkM0RFH.png

I know that the radius of the circle is 7 and the angle of the segment is 150°

Homework Equations

Area of a circle: [tex]A = \pi{r}^2[/tex]
Area of the sector of the circle: [tex]A = \frac{n}{360}\pi r^{2}[/tex]
Area of a triangle: [tex]A = \frac{n}{360}\pi r^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to get the final solution to get the area of that particular part of the circle, I need to subtract the whole area of the circle with the segment of the circle (the triangular portion).

To get the area of the triangle portion, I subtract the area of the sector of the circle with the area of the triangle of that portion multiplied by 2 (since there are essentially two triangles). Also, to get the area of the triangular portion, I can use the 30-60-90 rule. To get this:
Short leg:
[tex]A_s = \frac{1}{2}H = \frac{1}{2}*7 = \frac{7}{2}[/tex]
Long leg:
[tex]A_l=\frac{1}{2}H\sqrt{3} = \frac{7}{2}\sqrt{3}[/tex]
Area of whole triangle:
[tex]A_t=\frac{1}{2}*\frac{7}{2}*\frac{7}{2}\sqrt{3}*2=\frac{49}{4}\sqrt{3}[/tex]

Now the area of the whole sector is:
[tex]A_t = \frac{150}{360}49\pi-\frac{49}{4}\sqrt{3}[/tex]

To get the area of just that portion of the circle the question is asking, subtract the area of the whole circle with the answer from above:
[tex]A = 49\pi-(\frac{150}{360}49\pi-\frac{49}{4}\sqrt{3})[/tex]

I was wondering if I am doing this problem correctly? I am not getting any of the answers in the possible solutions. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
skybox said:
Hi all, I am having an issue trying to solve the following problem

Homework Statement

PkM0RFH.png

I know that the radius of the circle is 7 and the angle of the segment is 150°

Homework Equations

Area of a circle: [tex]A = \pi{r}^2[/tex]
Area of the sector of the circle: [tex]A = \frac{n}{360}\pi r^{2}[/tex]
Area of a triangle: [tex]A = \frac{n}{360}\pi r^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to get the final solution to get the area of that particular part of the circle, I need to subtract the whole area of the circle with the segment of the circle (the triangular portion).

To get the area of the triangle portion, I subtract the area of the sector of the circle with the area of the triangle of that portion multiplied by 2 (since there are essentially two triangles). Also, to get the area of the triangular portion, I can use the 30-60-90 rule. To get this:
Short leg:
[tex]A_s = \frac{1}{2}H = \frac{1}{2}*7 = \frac{7}{2}[/tex]

But that half triangle is not a 30-60-90 triangle.

LCKurtz said:
But that half triangle is not a 30-60-90 triangle.

Hmmm, yes you are right. Looks like I made a mistake. Can I assume it is a right triangle if I cut it in half?

skybox said:
Hmmm, yes you are right. Looks like I made a mistake. Can I assume it is a right triangle if I cut it in half?

You are given that one leg of the triangle is a radius, that is enough to be sure the triangle is isosceles.

Likes 1 person
skybox said:

Yes, but why would you want to deal with angles like ##15^\circ##? What is the formula for area of a triangle given two sides and the included angle ##\theta##? Draw a picture and figure it out if you don't know the formula. It's what you need here.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
Yes, but why would you want to deal with angles like ##15^\circ##? What is the formula for area of a triangle given two sides and the included angle ##\theta##? Draw a picture and figure it out if you don't know the formula. It's what you need here.

Thanks. I researched this and it looks like I can use the SAS (Side Angle Side) formula to get the area of this triangle. That formula is:
[tex]A=\frac{1}{2}ab\sin C[/tex]
Which, for my problem, is equal to:
[tex]A_t = \frac{1}{2}(7)(7)\sin 150\degree [/tex]
[tex]A_t = \frac{1}{2}(49)(0.5)[/tex]
[tex]A_t = \frac{49}{4}[/tex]

Now to get the area of that small portion of the circle, I take the area of the whole circle and subtract it with the area of the triangle:
[tex]A = 49\pi - \frac{49}{4}[/tex]
[tex]A = 49(\pi - \frac{1}{4})[/tex]

Does this look right because this answer does not equal any of the possible answers for the problem. Thanks again!

In your expression A=49π−49/4, you have taken the area of the whole circle, and not a fraction of it.

Likes 1 person
pongo38 said:
In your expression A=49π−49/4, you have taken the area of the whole circle, and not a fraction of it.

Thanks for the reply pongo38. I might be confusing myself. If I take area of the whole circle and subtract it with the area of the triangle, won't that give me the area of the smaller circle?

I think it would help if you drew the whole circle, then the 150 degree segment, then the triangle. Put on the diagram all the areas you can identify.

Likes 1 person
pongo38 said:
I think it would help if you drew the whole circle, then the 150 degree segment, then the triangle. Put on the diagram all the areas you can identify.

Thanks pongo. I drew it out and understand why my thinking was incorrect on trying to subtract the whole circle.

So I drew it out:
LHtI8nc.png

Now I am confused on how to continue to approach this problem. I am not sure if the the portion of (B) is exactly a half circle, which I cannot assume given the problem. I even tried to work it out and didn't get the correct problem with the same thinking. Any suggestions? Thanks

Go back to your original post. In the Relevant equations section, you have stated the correct formula for the area of a circular sector. The formula for the area of the triangle is incorrect.

From the diagram, the area of the shaded portion = the area of the circular sector - the area of the triangle.

You have calculated the area of the circular sector as (150/360)*49 * pi
You have calculated the area of the triangle as 49/4

Can you calculate the area of the shaded portion now? Remember to simplify fractions in your final result.

Likes 1 person
skybox said:
Thanks pongo. I drew it out and understand why my thinking was incorrect on trying to subtract the whole circle.

So I drew it out:
LHtI8nc.png

Now I am confused on how to continue to approach this problem. I am not sure if the the portion of (B) is exactly a half circle, which I cannot assume given the problem. I even tried to work it out and didn't get the correct problem with the same thinking. Any suggestions? Thanks

Area B has nothing to do with the problem. Find the area of the sector of the circle bounded by the two radii and subtract the area of the triangle from it.

Likes 1 person
Thanks guys! I finally solved it and got a better understanding of the problem.

Attached is the solution I created in word when trying to solve this problem. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 441

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do you calculate the area of a circle if the diameter is given?

If the diameter (d) of the circle is given, you can use the formula A = (π/4)d² to calculate the area.

3. Can you use the same formula to calculate the area of a semicircle?

No, the formula for calculating the area of a semicircle is A = (π/2)r², where r is the radius of the semicircle. This is because a semicircle is half of a full circle, so its area is half of the area of a full circle.

4. How do you find the area of a circle if the circumference is given?

If the circumference (C) of the circle is given, you can use the formula A = (C²/4π) to calculate the area.

5. Can you find the area of a circle if only the arc length is known?

Yes, you can find the area of a circle if the arc length (s) is known by using the formula A = (s²/4π) + (s²/8), where s is the arc length. This formula takes into account the area of the sector (s²/4π) and the area of the triangle formed by the radius and the arc (s²/8).