Calculating the dead load of a mild structural steel

In summary, the problem asks for the dead load that a mild steel beam with a solid square cross section of 100mm and simply supported by two supports 3m apart can safely support when applied to the middle of the beam. Using the bending formula, the dead load can be calculated as 1125 kN. However, the incorrect formula for bending stress was initially used and the correct formula is PL/4A. The correct unit symbols for MPa and kN should also be used. The correct equations for bending stress are M/I = σb/y = E/R and (PL/2)/a^4 = σb/y. The values for E and R are still unknown, but the values for M, I, σ
1884ram

Homework Statement

A mild steel beam has a solid square cross section of 100mm and is simply supported by two supports 3m apart. calculate the dead load that can be safely supported when applied to the middle of the beam?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

given data:

square cross section of 100m

Ultimate strength in bending is σb = 450N/mm2

Ultimate shear in strength = Tut 320 N/mm2

The maximum bending moment is under the load

So from the bending formula
Bending stress (σb) = P / A

A = Area of cross section

Dead load P = σbA / 4
= 450 x 1002 / 4
= 1125000N (1125KN)

Can anyone confirm that this is the correct answer.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
1884ram: That currently looks incorrect. It looks like you have the wrong formula for bending stress. Find the correct formula for bending stress, and keep trying.

By the way, N/mm^2 is called MPa. Use the correct unit symbol, MPa. Also, the unit symbol for kiloNewton is spelled kN, not KN. Always use the correct capitalization. Also, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 3 m, not 3m.

Thanks for your reply and advice nvn.

I have looked into some other equations and i have found the following:

M / I = σb / y = E / R

(PL / 2) / a4 / 12 = σb / y

Are these correct?

I have tried to use these formulas to calcualte dead load but not sure what the E and R values are:

M = 480 x 166 666 / 4 = 1 999 992 0 / 1000 = 1 999 9.92 N m

I = 1 / 12 x 100^4 = 8 333 300 mm^4

σb = 450 mpa

y = 1 / 2 x 100 = 50 mm

E =

R =

L = 100

What is the definition of dead load?

Dead load refers to the weight of all permanent materials that make up a structure, such as the building itself, walls, floors, and foundation. This does not include any live loads, which are temporary loads such as furniture, people, or snow.

What factors influence the dead load of a mild structural steel?

The dead load of a mild structural steel is influenced by the type and dimensions of the steel used, as well as the design of the structure. Other factors such as the location and intended use of the structure may also impact the dead load.

How is the dead load of a mild structural steel calculated?

The dead load of a mild structural steel is calculated by determining the weight of each component of the structure, including the steel beams, columns, and any additional materials such as concrete or roofing. These weights are then added together to determine the total dead load of the structure.

What is the unit of measurement used for dead load?

The unit of measurement used for dead load is typically pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg), depending on the unit system being used. These weights are often converted into a force unit such as newtons (N) for structural analysis.

Why is it important to accurately calculate the dead load of a mild structural steel?

Accurately calculating the dead load of a mild structural steel is crucial for ensuring the safety and stability of a structure. A miscalculation of the dead load can result in an overweight or underweight structure, which can lead to structural failure and potential hazards for occupants.