1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structural Engineering help - Load on a beam

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Several beams of 533 x 210 x 92 kg/m UB section in grade 5275 steel are used to support a composite floor slab. Each beam is simply supported with an effective span of L=6.50 m.

(a) During construction, before the floor slab is cast, a temporary concentrated load P kN (not destabilising) may be applied at any position along the span of any one of the beams. From considerations of bending and shear only, determine the greatest design value of P that can be carried at the ultimate limit state. You may assume that, at the supports only, each beam is fully restrained against lateral movement and so the mode shape parameter k can be taken as 1.0.

I have absolutely no idea what to do for this! If anyone could give me any help with the method/steps to take then I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2
    It sounds like you first need to find the nominal moment and shear capacity of these beams. Then place the concentrated load in the spots where it would cause the worst cases for shear and bending and figure out how big the load could be without going over either capacity.

Make sure to think about the self-weight of the concrete and other loads it will eventually support as well.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook