Calculating the Fourier Series of |sin x|

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier series of |sin x| between -pi and pi. It is determined that the correct formula for an is 2((-1)^{n-1} - 1) and the final answer is f(x) = \frac{2}{\pi} + \frac{4}{\pi}\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{cos (2nx)}{4n^2 - 1}.
Narcol2000
I'm trying to find the Fourier series of |sin x| between -pi and pi.

I've got it down to:

[tex]
a_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int^{\pi}_{-\pi} |sin x| cos (nx) dx
[/tex]

which i wrote as:

[tex]
a_n = \frac{2}{\pi}\int^{\pi}_0 sin x cos (nx) dx
[/tex]

writing

[tex]
sin x cos (nx) = \frac{1}{2} (sin (n+1)x - sin (n-1)x)
[/tex]

I eventually get

[tex]
a_n = \frac{2(n(-1)^n - 1)}{\pi(n^2 - 1)}
[/tex]

giving

[tex]
f(x) = \frac{2}{\pi} + \sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{2(n(-1)^n - 1)}{\pi(n^2 - 1)} cos(nx)
[/tex]

The answer however gives

[tex]
f(x) = \frac{2}{\pi} + \frac{4}{\pi}\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{cos (2nx)}{4n^2 - 1}
[/tex]

I don't see how they arrive at this... if anyone can let me know where I've gone wrong or if I'm missing something :S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mad a mistake in calculating an. There is no n in the numerator. It should be (-1)n-1-1. Then all the terms for odd n are 0 and the even terms remain. (I suggest you redo the calculation).

yeah i found the mistake,
I get the numerator to be
[tex]
2((-1)^{n-1} - 1)
[/tex]

which does lead to the right answer.

thx for your help.:cool:

Related to Calculating the Fourier Series of |sin x|

1. What is a Fourier series of |sin x|?

A Fourier series of |sin x| is a representation of the function |sin x| as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is a way to break down a periodic function into simpler components.

2. How is a Fourier series of |sin x| calculated?

The coefficients of the Fourier series of |sin x| can be calculated using the formula:
an = (2/π)∫0π|sin x| cos(nx) dx
bn = (2/π)∫0π|sin x| sin(nx) dx
where n is the frequency of the sine or cosine function.

3. What is the convergence of a Fourier series of |sin x|?

A Fourier series of |sin x| converges to |sin x| for most values of x. However, at points where the function is not differentiable, such as at x=0, the series may not converge to the original function.

4. What is the significance of the Fourier series of |sin x|?

The Fourier series of |sin x| is significant because it allows us to represent a complex function as a combination of simpler trigonometric functions. This has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing.

5. Can the Fourier series of |sin x| be used to approximate other functions?

Yes, the Fourier series of |sin x| can be used to approximate other periodic functions. By adjusting the frequencies and amplitudes of the sine and cosine functions, we can create a series that closely approximates the desired function.