Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the Invariant Matrix

1. May 29, 2014 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I am having one question... If we know the form of the effective Lagrangian, let's say the form:

[itex]L= g (\bar{\psi}_{e} \gamma^{\mu} P_{L} \psi_{\nu})(\bar{\psi}_{p} \gamma_{\mu} P_{L} \psi_{n}) [/itex]

How can someone calculate the spin averaged invariant matrix [itex]\large M[/itex]?
    I mean I can do the whole calculation if it's to have the [itex]u,v[/itex] in place of [itex]\psi[/itex]. I am having also a problem of seeing when this is done in QED scatterings too, since we know that [itex]M= j^{\mu}j_{\mu}[/itex] with [itex]j^{\mu}= \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu} \psi [/itex]...
    but I don't know if I have the whole Dirac spinor [itex]\psi[/itex] what someone is supposed to do?

In most cases for the weak interaction, I'm seeing [itex]M[/itex] given by [itex]u,v[/itex] (like in Halzen & Martin)...

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2014 #2
    It's exactly the calculation you are used to in terms of the u and v spinors. What appears in the Lagrangian (for example the Fermi Lagrangian that you wrote) is the Dirac field which can be expressed as a sum of Dirac spinors, u and v.

So suppose you want to describe the effective muon decay, [itex]\mu^-\to e^-+ \nu_\mu +\bar\nu_e[/itex]. Then your effective Lagrangian is going to be:
    $$
    L=\frac{G_F}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\bar\psi_\mu\gamma^\alpha P_L\psi_{\nu_\mu}\right)\left(\bar \psi_{\nu_e}\gamma_\alpha P_L\psi_e\right).
    $$
    However, when computing the matrix element using the Feynman diagram this Lagrangian leads to:
    $$
    \mathcal{M}=\frac{G_F}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\bar \nu_\mu\gamma_\alpha P_L\mu\right)\left(\bar e\gamma^\alpha P_L\nu_e\right).
    $$
    Now in the matrix element you have the spinors appropriate for each particle and thus you can use all the well-known trace technology to compute the square amplitude averaged over the spins.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook