Calculating the Limit of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x))

  • Thread starter Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
LCSphysicist
Messages
644
Reaction score
163
Homework Statement
.
Relevant Equations
(1 + a^x)^(a^(-x))
(1 + a^x)^(a^(-x))
Let's assume a, say, two.

the limit of it, with x tending to infinity,
1589004694518.png
is one, but i was thinking...
Calling 2^x by a, we have that when x tend to infinity, so do a, So:
1589004584056.png
that is euler number no? Contradictory... where am i wrong?
 
Attachments
  • 1589004449884.png
    1589004449884.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 253
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
one

That's what I got. The way I usually deal with limits of this form is to express it as a function of the exponential function and the natural logarithm, then use l'Hopital's rule on the power.
 
Eclair_de_XII said:
That's what I got. The way I usually deal with limits of this form is to express it as a function of the exponential function and the natural logarithm, then use l'Hopital's rule on the power.
Yes but, what is wrong in the second case?
 
I think that the problem is that ##a## is not bounded, and it would not be the same as the limit for Euler's number if you tried to put it that way. For example, if you let ##a=\frac{1}{n^2}##, then as ##a\rightarrow \infty##, ##n^2\rightarrow 0^+##. Then your second limit becomes:

##\lim_{a \rightarrow \infty}(1+a)^{\frac{1}{a}}=\lim_{n^2\rightarrow 0}(1+\frac{1}{n^2})^{n^2}\neq e##

Maybe if you switched around the negative signs in the equation in the Relevant Equations part of your post, it would be some function of Euler's number.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: LCSphysicist
Euler's number is ##\lim (1+\frac{1}{n})^n ## as ##n\to \infty## or equivalently ##\lim (1+n)^{\frac{1}{n}}## as ##n\to 0##.

BUT you have ##\lim (1+n)^{\frac{1}{n}}## as ##n\to \infty##
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: SammyS, FactChecker and LCSphysicist
Delta2 said:
Euler's number is ##\lim (1+\frac{1}{n})^n ## as ##n\to \infty## or equivalently ##\lim (1+n)^{\frac{1}{n}}## as ##n\to 0##.

BUT you have ##\lim (1+n)^{\frac{1}{n}}## as ##n\to \infty##
Oh so i was wrong to think that the third therm was too equivalent.
I really messed me up, the terms between the parentheses need to tend to one, not to infinity... thank you both guys
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2