Calculating the Limit of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x))

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of (1 + a^x)^(a^(-x)) as x approaches infinity is equal to one, but this is only true if a is bounded and not equal to Euler's number. If a is not bounded, then the limit will not be equal to Euler's number. The mistake in the second case was that the terms between the parentheses were tending to infinity instead of one.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
(1 + a^x)^(a^(-x))
(1 + a^x)^(a^(-x))
Let's assume a, say, two.

the limit of it, with x tending to infinity,
1589004694518.png
is one, but i was thinking...
Calling 2^x by a, we have that when x tend to infinity, so do a, So:
1589004584056.png
that is euler number no? Contradictory... where am i wrong?

Attachments

• 1589004449884.png
    1589004449884.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 160
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
one

That's what I got. The way I usually deal with limits of this form is to express it as a function of the exponential function and the natural logarithm, then use l'Hopital's rule on the power.

Eclair_de_XII said:
That's what I got. The way I usually deal with limits of this form is to express it as a function of the exponential function and the natural logarithm, then use l'Hopital's rule on the power.
Yes but, what is wrong in the second case?

I think that the problem is that ##a## is not bounded, and it would not be the same as the limit for Euler's number if you tried to put it that way. For example, if you let ##a=\frac{1}{n^2}##, then as ##a\rightarrow \infty##, ##n^2\rightarrow 0^+##. Then your second limit becomes:

##\lim_{a \rightarrow \infty}(1+a)^{\frac{1}{a}}=\lim_{n^2\rightarrow 0}(1+\frac{1}{n^2})^{n^2}\neq e##

Maybe if you switched around the negative signs in the equation in the Relevant Equations part of your post, it would be some function of Euler's number.

Likes LCSphysicist
Euler's number is ##\lim (1+\frac{1}{n})^n ## as ##n\to \infty## or equivalently ##\lim (1+n)^{\frac{1}{n}}## as ##n\to 0##.

BUT you have ##\lim (1+n)^{\frac{1}{n}}## as ##n\to \infty##

• Informative
Likes SammyS, FactChecker and LCSphysicist
Delta2 said:
Euler's number is ##\lim (1+\frac{1}{n})^n ## as ##n\to \infty## or equivalently ##\lim (1+n)^{\frac{1}{n}}## as ##n\to 0##.

BUT you have ##\lim (1+n)^{\frac{1}{n}}## as ##n\to \infty##
Oh so i was wrong to think that the third therm was too equivalent.
I really messed me up, the terms between the parentheses need to tend to one, not to infinity... thank you both guys

Likes Delta2

1. What is the formula for calculating the limit of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)) as x approaches infinity?

The formula for calculating the limit of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)) as x approaches infinity is lim(1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)) = 1.

2. How do you determine if a limit exists for (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x))?

A limit exists for (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)) if the left and right hand limits are equal. In other words, if the limit as x approaches a from the left is equal to the limit as x approaches a from the right, then the overall limit exists.

3. Can the limit of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)) be calculated without using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, the limit of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)) can be calculated without using L'Hopital's rule. It can be calculated by using the properties of logarithms and the fact that the limit of 2^x as x approaches infinity is equal to infinity.

4. How does the value of x affect the limit of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x))?

The value of x does not affect the limit of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)). As x approaches infinity, the value of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)) approaches 1, regardless of the value of x.

5. Can the limit of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)) be graphically represented?

Yes, the limit of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)) can be graphically represented as a horizontal line at y = 1. As x approaches infinity, the graph of (1 + 2^x)^(2^(-x)) approaches this horizontal line.