Calculating the residue of a complex function

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the residue of a pole at z=i for the function f(z)=(1+z^2)^-3. The order of the pole is determined to be 3 and the formula for finding the residue is given. The conversation then discusses implementing the formula and factoring the denominator in order to calculate the limit. The final answer is determined to be 3/8.
AlBell

Homework Statement

calculate the residue of the pole at z=i of the function

f(z)=(1+z^2)^-3

State the order of the pole

Homework Equations

I know the residue theorem and also the laurent series expansion but I'm having trouble applying these

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the pole is order 3 but I'm having trouble either expanding the function in order to find the a(-1) term or implementing the residue theorem and would appreciate some help! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that the residue of a function f at the point a can be calculated by

[tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow a} (z-a)f(z)[/tex]

I thought it was
dxzktg.png
?

AlBell said:
I thought it was
dxzktg.png
?

Yes, of course, sorry. My formula is for a simple pole.
So, can you use your formula to find the residue?

Yes but I am having trouble actually implementing the formula and wondered if anyone could do an example to help me understand it?

Well, first you'll need to determine the order of the pole.

Your guess is that the order of the pole is 3. So you'll need to look at

[itex]\lim_{z\rightarrow a} (z-a)^3f(z)[/itex].

This limit should be nonzero for the order of the pole to be 3. If it is zero, then the pole is of a lower order. If the limit doesn't exist, then the pole is of higher order.

So, can you calculate that limit?

Hint: factor the denominator.

Ah I forgot about factorising, that makes it so much simpler! I get 3/8 I think!

VERY close. You probably got something like 12*(2i)^(-5), right? Just compute this again. The 3/8 is right, but you are missing two factors.

What is a residue of a complex function?

The residue of a complex function is the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function at a singular point. It is a measure of the singularity at that point and can be used to evaluate complex integrals.

How is the residue calculated for a complex function?

The residue is calculated using the formula: Res(f,z0) = limz→z0 (z-z0)f(z), where z0 is the singular point and f(z) is the complex function. This limit can be evaluated using techniques such as the Cauchy integral formula or the Cauchy residue theorem.

What is the significance of calculating the residue of a complex function?

Calculating the residue of a complex function is important in many areas of mathematics and physics. It allows for the evaluation of complex integrals, determination of poles and essential singularities of a function, and the computation of residues at these points can also provide information about the behavior of the function near those points.

Can the residue of a complex function be negative?

Yes, the residue of a complex function can be negative. This can occur when the function has a pole of order greater than 1 at the singular point. In this case, the residue would be the negative of the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power in the Laurent series expansion.

Are there any tools or software available for calculating the residue of a complex function?

Yes, there are many mathematical software programs available that can calculate the residue of a complex function. Some examples include Mathematica, MATLAB, and Maple. These programs have built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for computing residues and can handle complex functions with ease.