Calculating the slope of the tangent.

  • Thread starter Thread starter -Dragoon-
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Slope Tangent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
-Dragoon-
Messages
308
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement


Determine the slope of the tangent at x = 0 for the function f(x) = [tex]\frac{cosx}{1-x}[/tex]?

Homework Equations


Product rule:
F'(x) = f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)
Chain rule:
f'(x) = nx^n-1·(x)'

The Attempt at a Solution


So first I rewrite the equation to get rid of the fraction:
f(x) = (cosx)(x-1)^-1
Then I start differentiating:
f'(x) = (cosx)'(x-1)^-1 + (cosx)(1-x)^-1'
f'(x) = (-sinx)(x-1)^-1 + (cosx)(-1)(1-x)^(-1-1)·(-1)
f'(x) = -sin/(1-x) + (cosx)/(1-x)^2
f'(x) = -sinx(1-x)+(cosx)/(1-x)^2
That is what I calculate as the derivative.

So when I substitute in 0:
f(0) = -sin0(1-0)+(cos0)/(1-0)^2 = 0/1 = 0. The problem is, my book says that the slope is 1, which would mean I should get 1/1, but how? Did I miscalculate during the differentiation? Unfortunately, I am not allowed to use quotient rule according to my teacher to solve these types of problems. Any help? Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Retribution said:

Homework Statement


Determine the slope of the tangent at x = 0 for the function f(x) = [tex]\frac{cosx}{1-x}[/tex]?


Homework Equations


Product rule:
F'(x) = f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)
Chain rule:
f'(x) = nx^n-1·(x)'

The Attempt at a Solution


So first I rewrite the equation to get rid of the fraction:
f(x) = (cosx)(x-1)^-1
Then I start differentiating:
f'(x) = (cosx)'(x-1)^-1 + (cosx)(1-x)^-1'
f'(x) = (-sinx)(x-1)^-1 + (cosx)(-1)(1-x)^(-1-1)·(-1)
f'(x) = -sin/(1-x) + (cosx)/(1-x)^2
f'(x) = -sinx(1-x)+(cosx)/(1-x)^2
That is what I calculate as the derivative.

So when I substitute in 0:
f(0) = -sin0(1-0)+(cos0)/(1-0)^2 = 0/1 = 0. The problem is, my book says that the slope is 1, which would mean I should get 1/1, but how? Did I miscalculate during the differentiation? Unfortunately, I am not allowed to use quotient rule according to my teacher to solve these types of problems. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, what is Sin(0) and what is Cos(0)?
 
Ah, I totally forgot about that. Stupid me. :smile:

Thanks for all the help, Sammy and robert. :biggrin: