Calculating the slope of the tangent.

In summary, the slope of the tangent at x = 0 for the function f(x) = \frac{cosx}{1-x} is 1, calculated by using the product rule and chain rule. The mistake was made when differentiating and forgetting to consider the values of sin(0) and cos(0).
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

Determine the slope of the tangent at x = 0 for the function f(x) = [tex]\frac{cosx}{1-x}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

Product rule:
F'(x) = f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)
Chain rule:
f'(x) = nx^n-1·(x)'

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I rewrite the equation to get rid of the fraction:
f(x) = (cosx)(x-1)^-1
Then I start differentiating:
f'(x) = (cosx)'(x-1)^-1 + (cosx)(1-x)^-1'
f'(x) = (-sinx)(x-1)^-1 + (cosx)(-1)(1-x)^(-1-1)·(-1)
f'(x) = -sin/(1-x) + (cosx)/(1-x)^2
f'(x) = -sinx(1-x)+(cosx)/(1-x)^2
That is what I calculate as the derivative.

So when I substitute in 0:
f(0) = -sin0(1-0)+(cos0)/(1-0)^2 = 0/1 = 0. The problem is, my book says that the slope is 1, which would mean I should get 1/1, but how? Did I miscalculate during the differentiation? Unfortunately, I am not allowed to use quotient rule according to my teacher to solve these types of problems. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(0) = 1

Retribution said:

Homework Statement

Determine the slope of the tangent at x = 0 for the function f(x) = [tex]\frac{cosx}{1-x}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

Product rule:
F'(x) = f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)
Chain rule:
f'(x) = nx^n-1·(x)'

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I rewrite the equation to get rid of the fraction:
f(x) = (cosx)(x-1)^-1
Then I start differentiating:
f'(x) = (cosx)'(x-1)^-1 + (cosx)(1-x)^-1'
f'(x) = (-sinx)(x-1)^-1 + (cosx)(-1)(1-x)^(-1-1)·(-1)
f'(x) = -sin/(1-x) + (cosx)/(1-x)^2
f'(x) = -sinx(1-x)+(cosx)/(1-x)^2
That is what I calculate as the derivative.

So when I substitute in 0:
f(0) = -sin0(1-0)+(cos0)/(1-0)^2 = 0/1 = 0. The problem is, my book says that the slope is 1, which would mean I should get 1/1, but how? Did I miscalculate during the differentiation? Unfortunately, I am not allowed to use quotient rule according to my teacher to solve these types of problems. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, what is Sin(0) and what is Cos(0)?

Ah, I totally forgot about that. Stupid me. :rofl:

Thanks for all the help, Sammy and robert. :biggrin:

1. What is the slope of the tangent?

The slope of the tangent is the steepness of the curve at a specific point. It represents the rate at which the dependent variable changes with respect to the independent variable at that point.

2. How do you calculate the slope of the tangent?

The slope of the tangent can be calculated by finding the derivative of the function at the specific point. This can be done using the limit definition of the derivative or by using differentiation rules.

3. Why is calculating the slope of the tangent important?

Calculating the slope of the tangent is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It can also provide us with information about the rate of change of a function and can be used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What is the difference between the slope of the tangent and the slope of a secant?

The slope of the tangent is the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while the slope of a secant is the average rate of change between two points on a curve. As the distance between the two points approaches zero, the slope of the secant becomes the slope of the tangent.

5. Can the slope of the tangent be negative?

Yes, the slope of the tangent can be negative. A negative slope indicates that the curve is decreasing at that point. However, the slope of the tangent can also be positive or zero, depending on the behavior of the curve at that specific point.