Calculating the speed of electrons?

In summary, the conversation discusses studying particle physics and the equation for calculating the speed of an electron given its De Broglie wavelength. The De Broglie wavelength is represented by the equation \lambda = \frac{h}{mv}, where h is Planck's constant, m is mass, and v is velocity. The person also requests definitions of the symbols.
bobo343
I'm now studying particle physics again after a long break, so as a refresher I've been going through my old syllabus again.

Trouble is, most of my notes suck/are lost and my memory isn't so great when it comes to the specific equations.

So basically, what's the equation for working out the speed of an electron when you're given it's De Broglie wavelength?

Definitions of the symbols won't go a miss too ;P

Please and thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
the De Broglie wavelength is given by

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{mv}[/tex]

h = Planck's constant
m = mass
v = velocity.

Thankyou very much for the quick reply.

1. How is the speed of an electron calculated?

The speed of an electron can be calculated using the equation: v = √ ( 2 * KE / m), where v is the speed, KE is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the speed of electrons?

The speed of electrons is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per second (km/s).

3. Can the speed of an electron be faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. This means that the speed of an electron, or any other particle, cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. How does the speed of an electron change in different mediums?

The speed of an electron can vary in different mediums due to the presence of other particles, such as atoms and molecules, which can interact with the electron and affect its speed. In general, electrons travel slower in a medium with a higher density compared to a medium with a lower density.

5. Is the speed of electrons constant or does it change?

The speed of electrons can vary depending on the energy they possess and the medium they are traveling through. In a vacuum, the speed of electrons is constant and equal to the speed of light. However, in other mediums, the speed of electrons can vary due to interactions with other particles.