Calculating Torque for Parliament Clock Tower Hands at 3:01

In summary, the conversation involved a question about calculating the torque of the hour and minute hands on a clock at 3:01, with one person initially getting the answers of 1482.74N*m and 208.97N*m, but later correcting it to 741.37N*m and 104.59N*m. There was also a discussion about the direction of the torque and a clarification about the time being 3:01 instead of 2:59. The final answer was agreed upon as 742.13N*m and 104.59N*m.
AeroVector
I have attempted this a few times, I got these answers--- 655.44N and 345.144N
If anyone can solve this for me it would be appreciated

The hour and minute hands of the clock in
the famous Parliament Clock Tower in London are 1.7 m and 3.4 m long and have masses
of 89 kg and 60 kg, respectively
Calculate the magnitude of the torque
around the center of the clock due to the
weight of these hands indicating 3 h and
1 min; i.e., 3:1 o’clock. Assume the clock
hands can be modeled as uniform thin rods
and at 3:00 o’clock, the hour hand is precisely
90◦
from the vertical. The acceleration of
gravity is 9.81 m/s
Answer in units of N · m

Physics news on Phys.org
I got 1482.74N*m and 208.97N*m. How did you solve these?

(360 deg/rev) / [12hr * 60 min/hr/rev] = 0.5° / min

Th = mg(l/2)cosθ
Th = 60(9.81)(1.7/2)cos(-0.5)
Th =500 Nm

360 deg/rev / 60 min/rev = 6 degrees/min
90 - 6 = 84° from horizontal

Tm = mg(l/2)cosθ
Tm = 89(9.81)(3.4/2)cos84

Tm = 155 Nm

155+ 500 =650Nm 600-144 = 345Nm that's how i got those answers

My answers were the torques for the hour hand and minute hand. I messed up the one for the Tm though but i fixed it and had the same answer as you also i forgot to divide my answers by 2 so the Th I had is 741.37. Torque is force multiplied by the perpendicular distance so for Th you just had to do mg(L/2).
Where did the 600-144 come from?

Actually my Th was wrong too. Sorry I mixed up the masses. so I got 500 also for that one

So what would I do with the 500 and 155? I added them together and it was wrong do it take 500-155 or 155-500?

Counter-clockwise moments (or torques in the English speaking world?) are positive and clockwise moments are negative so all you have to do is to think which direction would the hands of the clock swing due to gravity if they could swing freely. The hour hand would swing clockwise due to gravity and the minute hand would swing counter-clockwise because of gravity pulling it. Did my explanation make sense to you?

Last edited:
I put in -345 , 655 and 345 and all of them were wrong so far

lep11 said:
Counter-clockwise moments (or torques in the English speaking world?) are positive and clockwise moments are negative so all you have to do is to think which direction would the hands of the clock swing due to gravity if they could swing freely. The hour hand would swing clockwise due to gravity and the minute hand would swing counter-clockwise because of gravity pulling it so ƩMA=-500Nm+155Nm=-345Nm Did my explanation make sense to you?
Hi lep11. It sounds like you live in a fascinating land. Contrast your experience with this: at 3:01 the hands of plain old English speaking clocks are located on the same side of the vertical, and both exert clockwise torque on their shaft. :smile:

Maiq said:
My answers were the torques for the hour hand and minute hand. I messed up the one for the Tm though but i fixed it and had the same answer as you also i forgot to divide my answers by 2 so the Th I had is 741.37.
That looks right.

What's the torque for the minute hand?

NascentOxygen said:
Hi lep11. It sounds like you live in a fascinating land. Contrast your experience with this: at 3:01 the hands of plain old English speaking clocks are located on the same side of the vertical, and both exert clockwise torque on their shaft. :smile:
Yes, it may sound like that because I mistakenly thought the time was 2:59 instead of 3:01, sorry. :redface:

I got the slightly different figure of 742.13 N.m and 104.59 N.m. Might make a difference to the rounding.

In the end I ended up getting those torques, thank you to everyone for your help and input!

What is "Clock Torque Question"?

"Clock Torque Question" refers to the concept of how the torque, or rotational force, of a clock's mechanism affects its accuracy and functioning.

How does the torque of a clock affect its accuracy?

The torque of a clock is directly related to its accuracy. If the torque is too high, the clock's mechanism may move too quickly and cause it to gain time. If the torque is too low, the clock may move too slowly and lose time. It is important for the torque to be balanced in order for the clock to keep accurate time.

What factors can affect the torque of a clock?

Several factors can affect the torque of a clock, including the weight of the clock's hands and gears, the length of the pendulum, and any friction or resistance in the clock's mechanism. Changes in temperature and humidity can also impact the torque and therefore the accuracy of the clock.

How can the torque of a clock be adjusted?

The torque of a clock can be adjusted by changing the weight of the clock's hands and gears, adjusting the length of the pendulum, and lubricating any areas of friction or resistance. Some clocks also have a built-in mechanism for adjusting the torque, such as a regulator or pendulum bob.

Why is it important to maintain the correct torque in a clock?

Maintaining the correct torque in a clock is important for its accuracy and proper functioning. If the torque is not balanced, the clock may gain or lose time, which can lead to incorrect timekeeping and frustration for the owner. It is important to regularly check and adjust the torque of a clock to ensure its accuracy and longevity.