Calculating Variable from a Derivative

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with finding the coordinates of a point on a graph and the maximum area of a triangle. The solution involves using the equations for the graph and applying derivative tests to find the maximum area. It is suggested that there may be a typo in the book.
odolwa99
My answer for part (i) matches up with that of the book but solving for part (ii) has gone awry. Can anyone help me clear this up?
Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Q. The given diagram (see attachment) shows part of the graph of y = x2. p(x,y) is a point on the curve & a(6,0). bp [itex]\perp[/itex] ab. (i) Express the coordinates of p in terms of x only, (ii) Find the value of x if the area of the triangle abp is a maximum & hence find this maximum area.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) If y = x2 => p(x,y) => p(x,x2)

(ii) [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][(y2 - y1)(x1 - x3) - (x2 - x1)(y1 - y3)] => [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][(0 - x2)(x - x) - (6 - x)(x2 - 0)] => [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][0 - (6x2 - x3)] => [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][-6x2 + x3]
[itex]\frac{dA}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](-12x + 3x2) = 0 => -12x + 3x2 = 0 => 3x2 = 12x => x2 = 4x => x = 4
[itex]\frac{d^2A}{dx^2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](-12 + 6x) => [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](-12 + 6(4)) => [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] => [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](12) => 6 > 0, making x = 4 a minimum.
Area = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](-6x2 + x3) => [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](-6(4)2 + 43) => [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](-96 + 64) => [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](-32) => -16, i.e. Area is 16

Ans.: (ii) x = 2, Area = 8

Attachments

• maths.JPG
    maths.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Let the point [itex]b(x_0, y_0) = (x, 0)[/itex].

[itex]A = \frac{1}{2} (base)(height)[/itex]
[itex]A = \frac{1}{2} (6 - x)(x^2 - 0)[/itex]
[itex]A = \frac{1}{2} (6x^2 - x^3)[/itex]
[itex]A = 3x^2 - \frac{1}{2}x^3[/itex]

[itex]A' = 6x - \frac{3}{2} x^2[/itex]
[itex]A' = \frac{3}{2} x (4 - x)[/itex]

Setting [itex]A'= 0[/itex],
[itex]\frac{3}{2} x (4 - x) = 0[/itex]
[itex]x = 0, x = 4[/itex]

Applying the first derivative test:
On the interval [itex](0, 4), A' > 0[/itex], which indicates that [itex]A[/itex] is increasing on this interval.
On [itex](4, 6), A' < 0[/itex], so [itex]A[/itex] is decreasing.
The increase-decrease indicates the occurrence of a maximum at [itex]x = 4[/itex].

And when [itex]x = 4, y = 4^2 = 16[/itex]. The area is then
[itex]A = \frac{1}{2} (6 - 4) (16) = 16[/itex].

If I haven't made any mistakes here, my best guess would be that it's a typo in your book.

Related to Calculating Variable from a Derivative

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

How do you calculate a derivative?

To calculate a derivative, you use the derivative formula which is f'(x) = lim(h->0) (f(x+h) - f(x))/h. This formula represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point.

What is a variable in calculus?

In calculus, a variable is a quantity that can change and is represented by a letter or symbol. It is used to represent an unknown value in a mathematical equation or function.

What is the purpose of calculating a variable from a derivative?

The purpose of calculating a variable from a derivative is to find the original function or equation. This can be useful in solving real-life problems such as determining the velocity of an object at a specific time or finding the rate of change of a chemical reaction.

Can you calculate any variable from a derivative?

No, not all variables can be calculated from a derivative. The variable must be a function of another variable and the derivative must exist at the point being evaluated.