1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating water flow

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    I have been trying to work out a formula to calculate how long it might take to fill a container of a known capacity in various depths of fresh water. The container would have a foot valve for entry and a pipe extending above the surface for air displacement. Tests at 1metre deep have given about 3.5 litres per second for a 40mm and 50mm foot valve and an air pipe of 13mm and 20mm.
    I have a formula for working out the pressure at a set depth and I am assuming that it should fill more quickly the deeper it is.
    Will the length and/or the diameter of the air line affect the time it takes for the air to evacuate?
    If I pump the water using compressed air, would the advantage of the extra water over the canister be negated by the extra head to pump?
    I would like to input values for canister volume, foot valve size, depth and air line diameter and obtain the time it will take to fill.

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted