Calculating Water Flow: Time to Fill Canister

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the time it would take to fill a container with a foot valve and air pipe in various depths of fresh water. The speaker has a formula for calculating the pressure at different depths and is assuming that the container will fill faster at greater depths. They also question whether the length and diameter of the air line will affect the evacuation time and if using compressed air to pump the water would negate the benefits of using a larger container. The goal is to input specific values and obtain the filling time. A question is also raised about the potential impact of a zero diameter or infinite length air line.
Red Dog
I have been trying to work out a formula to calculate how long it might take to fill a container of a known capacity in various depths of fresh water. The container would have a foot valve for entry and a pipe extending above the surface for air displacement. Tests at 1metre deep have given about 3.5 litres per second for a 40mm and 50mm foot valve and an air pipe of 13mm and 20mm.
I have a formula for working out the pressure at a set depth and I am assuming that it should fill more quickly the deeper it is.
Will the length and/or the diameter of the air line affect the time it takes for the air to evacuate?
If I pump the water using compressed air, would the advantage of the extra water over the canister be negated by the extra head to pump?
I would like to input values for canister volume, foot valve size, depth and air line diameter and obtain the time it will take to fill.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If the air line had zero diameter or an infinite length, do you think this would have an effect?

1. How do I calculate the time it takes to fill a canister with water?

To calculate the time it takes to fill a canister with water, you will need to know the volume of the canister and the flow rate of the water source. The formula for calculating the time is: Time = Volume / Flow Rate.

2. What is the flow rate of water?

The flow rate of water is the volume of water that flows through a specific point in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in liters per second (L/s) or gallons per minute (GPM).

3. How do I measure the volume of a canister?

The volume of a canister can be determined by measuring its dimensions (length, width, and height) and calculating the volume using the formula: Volume = Length x Width x Height. Alternatively, you can fill the canister with a known amount of water and measure the volume using a measuring cup or container.

4. Can the time to fill a canister with water vary?

Yes, the time to fill a canister with water can vary depending on factors such as the flow rate of the water source, the size and shape of the canister, and any obstructions or restrictions in the flow of water.

5. How can I increase the flow rate of water to fill the canister faster?

To increase the flow rate of water, you can use a larger diameter hose or pipe, increase the water pressure, or use a pump to push the water into the canister. However, it is important to consider the limitations of your water source and equipment to avoid any potential damage or accidents.