Calculating Water in a Cumulus Cloud: Volume, Pop Bottles, and Mass

In summary: Than i foung the volume of the cylinder using height and radiusIf you have the cloud cylinder volume in cc's, you can just multiply by the amount of water in 1 cc. If in different units, you must convert.
dhago07
One cubic centimeter of a cumulus contains 330 water drops, which have a typical radius of 10 μm. (a) How many cubic meters of water are in a cylindrical cumulus cloud of height 2.9 km and radius 1.0 km? (b) How many 1-liter pop bottles would that water fill? (c) Water has a density of 1000 kg/m3. How much mass does the water in the cloud have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the volume of one drop. Find the volume of the cylinder. Watch out for units - might be smart to convert everything to meters at the start.

Delphi51 said:
Find the volume of one drop. Find the volume of the cylinder. Watch out for units - might be smart to convert everything to meters at the start.

But they have give that it is one cubic meter at the beginng that's what i don't understand should i use that or what is that

No, it says the water drop has a radius of 10 μm. That means it is a sphere. Use the formula for the volume of the sphere to find its volume. Express the 10 micrometers in units of meters first. You'll get a very small answer, of course.

Delphi51 said:
No, it says the water drop has a radius of 10 μm. That means it is a sphere. Use the formula for the volume of the sphere to find its volume. Express the 10 micrometers in units of meters first. You'll get a very small answer, of course.

"One cubic centimeter of a cumulus contains 330" that's what i am talking

Thanks buddy for you help.

"One cubic centimeter of a cumulus contains 330" that's what i am talking
Yes, 330 drops in a cc. So after you find the volume of one drop of water, you can multiply by 330 to find out how much water in a cc of cloud.

Delphi51 said:
Yes, 330 drops in a cc. So after you find the volume of one drop of water, you can multiply by 330 to find out how much water in a cc of cloud.

ok i found the volume of both what's next

dhago07 said:
ok i found the volume of both what's next

Also how i should do the part b and c

ok you know how much water in one cc of cloud.
So how much in the whole cloud? Find the volume of the cloud. It might be handy do to this calc in centimeters for easy comparison with the water in one cc.

Delphi51 said:
ok you know how much water in one cc of cloud.
So how much in the whole cloud? Find the volume of the cloud. It might be handy do to this calc in centimeters for easy comparison with the water in one cc.

i did not get that i just got the volume of drops of water and volume of cylinder with the given hieght and radius in km

should i divide the volume of cylinder by the volume of drops in meters

I'm not clear on what you've got. Thought you said you had the volume of water in one drop AND the volume in 330 drops, which is the volume of water in 1 cc of the cloud.
Maybe give the approximate numbers you have for all these volumes so we can write more clearly.

Delphi51 said:
I'm not clear on what you've got. Thought you said you had the volume of water in one drop AND the volume in 330 drops, which is the volume of water in 1 cc of the cloud.
Maybe give the approximate numbers you have for all these volumes so we can write more clearly.

ok i found the volume of one drop using 10 micrometer and than i multiply it by 330 drops . Than i foung the volume of the cylinder using height and radius

If you have the cloud cylinder volume in cc's, you can just multiply by the amount of water in 1 cc. If in different units, you must convert.

1. What is the volume of water in a cumulus cloud?

The volume of water in a cumulus cloud can vary greatly, but on average, it is estimated to be around 1 million cubic meters.

2. How is the volume of water in a cumulus cloud calculated?

The volume of water in a cumulus cloud is calculated by multiplying the cloud's surface area by its average depth. This can be done using mathematical equations or by estimating the cloud's dimensions and making calculations based on that.

3. Can you estimate the volume of water in a cumulus cloud using pop bottles?

Yes, it is possible to estimate the volume of water in a cumulus cloud using pop bottles. This method involves collecting rainwater from the cloud and measuring it in a pop bottle, then multiplying that by the number of bottles needed to fill the entire cloud.

4. How does the volume of water in a cumulus cloud relate to its mass?

The volume of water in a cumulus cloud is directly related to its mass. The more water the cloud contains, the heavier it will be. However, other factors such as the size and temperature of the cloud also play a role in determining its mass.

5. Why is it important to calculate the volume of water in a cumulus cloud?

Calculating the volume of water in a cumulus cloud is important for understanding and predicting weather patterns. It can also help in determining potential precipitation amounts and potential flooding risks. Additionally, studying the volume of water in cumulus clouds can provide valuable information for climate research.