Calculating Wind Speed Needed To Keep Hailstones Aloft

• Thread starter ScienceGirl502
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Wind
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating volume and weight of hailstones, determining the wind speed needed to keep hailstones aloft, and finding the terminal velocity of hailstones. The equation D = 1/2(C*rho*A*v^2) is mentioned, with the question of whether to use the density of air or hailstones for rho. The expert suggests using the density of air and mentions the need to consider the upward force of wind. A hint is given about using the equation mg = 1/2(C*rho*A*v^2) to find the speed. It is also mentioned that the terminal velocity problem may be related to the first question and could be considered from the hailstone's reference frame.
ScienceGirl502
i have calculated volume and weight from different size hailstones.
i now have to calculate the wind speed needed to keep a hailstone of each size aloft.
i am stuck on which equation to use...
should i solve using
D = 1/2(C*rho*A*v^2) ?

for rho do i plug in the density of air or of each hailstone?

i can only get as far as plugging in values for
(drag coefficient) C=.5 and A for each respective hailstone.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be the density of air but I don't see how the wind will keep a hailstone aloft unless the wind is directed upward.

we were given a hint: your calculations will involve the weight of the hailstone and the upward force of wind on the hailstone.

Okay, so it's an updraft!

You can calcuate the drag force on the hailstone and compare it with the weight of the hailstone.

i have an answer D = 1.40

the units that don't cancel out are gram/sec

is my answer for D
D = 1.40 grams/second?

i can't find a unit for D anywhere...is this acceptable?

Use
[tex]mg = \frac {1}{2} C \rho A v^2[/tex]
to find the speed. The units should work out.

thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much!

would that answer be the wind speed of the terminal velocity of the hailstone?
thanks!

ScienceGirl502 said:
would that answer be the wind speed of the terminal velocity of the hailstone?
thanks!

Exactly! :smile:

this is really confusing...the 1st question was "for each size hailstone, calculate the wind speed needed to keep a hailstone of that size aloft...hint--your calculations will involve the weight of the hailstone and the upward force of wind on the hailstone."

and then a few questions later it asks: "hailstones typically reach terminal velocity before they hit the ground. Find the terminal velocity of the hailstones. hint--finding the terminal velocity of the stones is easy if you've completed the 1st question"

is it possible that these questions are asking for the same thing?

:rolleyes:

thanks!

ScienceGirl502 said:
is it possible that these questions are asking for the same thing?

Perhaps the two are related. Does a hailstrone at terminal velocity have net acceleration? Is there a net force acting on it? What about a hailstone that is held aloft?

NateTG said:
Perhaps the two are related. Does a hailstrone at terminal velocity have net acceleration? Is there a net force acting on it? What about a hailstone that is held aloft?

i think i solved for terminal velocity with the equation that tide gave me.

the first question should be solved by Fdrag = -1/2 CpAv^2 to get the air drag.

right?

ScienceGirl502 said:
i think i solved for terminal velocity with the equation that tide gave me.

the first question should be solved by Fdrag = -1/2 CpAv^2 to get the air drag.

right?

Yes, but you should be able to see similarities between the two problems.

Perhaps you could consider the terminal velocity problem from the hailstone's reference frame?

thank you!

Related to Calculating Wind Speed Needed To Keep Hailstones Aloft

1. How do you calculate the wind speed needed to keep hailstones aloft?

To calculate the wind speed needed to keep hailstones aloft, you first need to know the size and weight of the hailstones, as well as the density of the air. Then, you can use the formula: wind speed = (2 * gravity * hailstone weight) / (air density * hailstone size).

2. What is the role of air density in calculating wind speed for hailstones?

Air density plays a crucial role in calculating wind speed for hailstones because it affects the amount of force needed to keep the hailstones suspended in the air. Higher air density means more resistance, which requires a higher wind speed to keep the hailstones aloft.

3. How does the size of hailstones impact the required wind speed?

The size of hailstones directly affects the required wind speed to keep them aloft. This is because larger hailstones have more weight and surface area, which means they need a higher wind speed to overcome the force of gravity and air resistance.

4. What other factors besides wind speed can keep hailstones aloft?

Besides wind speed, other factors that can keep hailstones aloft include updrafts and downdrafts within a storm, as well as the presence of supercooled water droplets in the atmosphere that can delay the melting of hailstones.

5. Can wind speed alone prevent hailstones from falling to the ground?

No, wind speed alone cannot prevent hailstones from falling to the ground. The required wind speed to keep hailstones aloft is often very high and can be difficult to sustain for a long period of time. Other factors such as storm dynamics and the size and density of hailstones also play a role in determining whether they will fall to the ground.