Why Is the Work Done by Weight Zero When Pushing a Box Horizontally?

In summary, the work done on the box by the weight is 0N, while the work done by the 40N force is 80N. This is because the weight and force are acting in different directions and have no influence on each other. The work done is calculated by multiplying the force and distance, and since the weight's force and distance are perpendicular, the work done by weight is 0. On the other hand, the 40N force is acting in the same direction as the displacement, resulting in a work done of 80N.

Homework Statement

A box of weight 100N is pushed a distance or displacement of 2m with a force of 40N. What is the work done on the box by i) the weight and ii) by the 40N force?

Homework Equations

Work = force * distance

The Attempt at a Solution

i) The work done on the box by weight = 0 (if this is correct, why?)

ii) The work done on the box by the 40N force
Work = force * distance
Work = 40 * 2
Work = 80N

Physics news on Phys.org
Work, force, and displacement are vectors. Can you figure out "why" from there?

I'll just say ths, work done by weight is 0 because that fat box did not helping you out AT ALL :grumpy:

Now, if it was on an incline sliding down as you pushed it..

Jack21222 said:
Work, force, and displacement are vectors. Can you figure out "why" from there?

Let me see... weight is acting vertically downwards, while force and displacement are acting horizontally. Therefore the weight had no influence on the force and displacement?

cronxeh said:
I'll just say ths, work done by weight is 0 because that fat box did not helping you out AT ALL :grumpy:

Now, if it was on an incline sliding down as you pushed it..

Thanks very much, you made it clearer

1. What is work and how is it calculated?

Work is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move in the direction of the force. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J), which is equivalent to a kilogram-meter squared per second squared (kg⋅m²/s²).

3. How is work calculated when the force is not constant?

When the force is not constant, work can be calculated by finding the area under the curve of a force-distance graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller sections and finding the area of each section using basic geometry principles, then adding all the areas together.

4. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This typically occurs when the force and the displacement are in opposite directions, meaning the force is acting against the motion of the object. For example, if you push a box up a hill and it rolls back down, the work you did would be negative.

5. How is work related to other forms of energy?

Work is a form of energy and it can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or potential energy. The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. Additionally, work done by a conservative force can be converted into potential energy.