Calculating work from E-Field Graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the work performed by an external agent to move a charge of -0.39x10^-12 C from point `i' to point `b', given the equipotential lines and a hint on how to calculate work. The magnitude of the electric field at point `k' is also discussed, with a suggestion to use the equipotential lines to estimate the distance Δd and then use the equation E = -ΔV/Δd to calculate the electric field.
xSnoopy

Homework Statement

a)Calculate the work performed by an external agent to move a charge of -0.39x10^-12 C from `i' to `b'

http://capa-new.colorado.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype54/prob04a_threeqcontour.gif

Hint: The equipotential lines shown are separated by 1 kV. Work to move a charge is the increase in potential energy of the charge. The potential energy is the potential times the charge.

b)Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at `k'.

Homework Equations

a)-q*ΔV = Work
b) E = -ΔV/Δd

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I have tried simply plugging in the values:
q = (-0.39x10^-12) and ΔV = ([3 - +3]*1000)

And got the answer 2.34*10^-9 J

b)not really sure where to start here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi xSnoopy. Look at the equipotential lines plot and pick an appropriate interval of distance Δd. You'll need to decide where to choose the location of Δd and what direction to orient it. You can then use the ruler in the diagram to estimate Δd in centimeters. Decide how to use this to estimate E.

1. What is the equation for calculating work from an E-Field graph?

The equation for calculating work from an E-Field graph is W = q * ∆V, where W represents work, q represents charge, and ∆V represents the change in potential difference.

2. How do I interpret an E-Field graph to calculate work?

To interpret an E-Field graph and calculate work, you need to look at the area under the graph. This area represents the work done by the electric field on the charge.

3. Can I use any unit for charge and potential difference in the work equation?

Yes, you can use any unit for charge and potential difference in the work equation as long as they are consistent. For example, if charge is measured in coulombs (C) and potential difference is measured in volts (V), the work will be calculated in joules (J).

4. Is the work calculated from an E-Field graph always positive?

In most cases, the work calculated from an E-Field graph will be positive. This represents the energy transferred to the charge by the electric field. However, if the charge is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field, the work will be negative as the energy is being taken away from the charge.

5. Can I calculate the work done on a charge from an E-Field graph if the graph is not a straight line?

Yes, you can still calculate the work done on a charge from an E-Field graph if the graph is not a straight line. In this case, you will need to use the trapezoidal rule to approximate the area under the curve and calculate the work.