Calculating Annual Cost of Running Coffee Makers

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
In summary, the total cost for operating two 15Ω coffee makers connected to a 120V power supply for two hours a day each for one year is $89.70. Using the equations P = IV and E = P∆t, it was determined that the total power of the two coffee makers is 1.92kW and the total energy consumed is 1401.6 kWh. However, the textbook's answer of $370.02 may be incorrect and could be due to inflation. Additionally, it is unlikely that the two coffee makers are connected in series, so the concept of equivalent resistance cannot be applied.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
Calculating yearly cost of running coffee makers

Homework Statement

Find the total cost for operating two 15Ω coffee makers connected to a 120V power supply for two hours a day each for one year.

Homework Equations

##R = 15Ω##
##V = 120V##
##∆t=(2h)(365)= 730h## Two hours each 365 days a year.
##r_¢=6.4¢/kWh##
##I = V/R = 8A##

There is some basic physics involved, it's the answer I'm concerned with arithmetically.

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the power of one coffee maker using :

##P = IV = (8A)(120V) = 0.96kW##

There are two coffee makers, so the total power is :

##P_{Total} = (2)(0.96kW) = 1.92kW##

The energy would then be :

##E = P_{Total}∆t = (1.92 kW)(730h) = 1401.6 kWh##

Therefore the total cost is :

##C = Er_¢ = (1401.6 kWh)(6.4¢/kWh) = 8970.24¢ = $89.70##

Is this correct? The answer is listed as $370.02 so I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
that's odd. Your method and answer look correct to me.

Must be inflation.

BruceW said:
that's odd. Your method and answer look correct to me.

Yeah it didn't make any sense for two small coffee makers to be costing so much to run.

SteamKing said:
Must be inflation.

Lol! I wouldn't want to live if inflation was that high.

The smart money is to connect them in parallel to decrease the resistance.

Other than that I have nothing to add

(I think) the problem was assuming that there is 120V across each of the resistors. If it meant 120V across both resistors in series, then he would get half of his current answer. (which unfortunately still doesn't get the textbook's answer).

I can't get my head around it. There is no way a 120V coffee machine takes so much power that you'd have to pay 175 bucks per machine a year.

I'm going to go with it being the textbook's fault not your fault.

By that same logic - if I were to calculate how much my computer costs to keep running if it's on 24/7 I would be long broke.

Last edited:
BruceW said:
(I think) the problem was assuming that there is 120V across each of the resistors. If it meant 120V across both resistors in series, then he would get half of his current answer. (which unfortunately still doesn't get the textbook's answer).

I believe the two coffee makers are on separate circuits; so I don't think concepts about ##R_{eq}## can be applied here.

Zondrina said:
I believe the two coffee makers are on separate circuits; so I don't think concepts about ##R_{eq}## can be applied here.

Agreed, how weird would it be to have one coffee maker that hooks into the back of another one for electricity xD

If they were on a parallel circuit, presumably they'd still have 120V and 15 Ω no?

Related to Calculating Annual Cost of Running Coffee Makers

Q: What is the formula for calculating yearly cost?

The formula for calculating yearly cost is: (Total cost of an item over its lifetime) / (Number of years the item will last).

Q: How do I calculate yearly cost for multiple items?

To calculate yearly cost for multiple items, you can use the same formula as above, but add the individual yearly costs together to get the total yearly cost for all items.

Q: What information do I need to calculate yearly cost?

You will need to know the total cost of the item, the number of years it will last, and any additional costs such as maintenance or repairs.

Q: Is there a more accurate way to calculate yearly cost?

Yes, you can also factor in the time value of money by using a discount rate in your calculation. This takes into account the present value of money and can give a more accurate yearly cost.

Q: Why is it important to calculate yearly cost?

Calculating yearly cost is important because it helps you make informed decisions when making purchases or investments. It also allows you to budget and plan for future expenses.