Calculatingthe resultant gravitational force on spherical objects

In summary, the resultant gravitational force on spherical objects can be calculated using the formula F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them. The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental physical constant that is used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects with mass. Its value is approximately 6.67430 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2. The resultant gravitational force cannot be negative and is always a positive value, as gravity is an attractive force between two objects. The resultant gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between
naushaan
Homework Statement
Hi guys, I'm stuck on this homework question: Three uniform spheres of masses m1 = 2.50 kg, m2 = 4.00 kg, and m3 = 7.50 kg are placed at the corners of a right triangle (see figure below). Calculate the resultant gravitational force on the object of mass m2, assuming the spheres are isolated from the rest of the Universe. So I got the 'j' part correct, but for the 'i' part it's telling me the magnitude is correct but the direction is not. I'm confused as to what this means.
Relevant Equations
F=GMm/r^2
1583810276465.png

1583810347552.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the positive x-axis points to the right. The x-component of the force points to the left. So ...

i forgot to make it a negative! thank you for your help

1. What is the formula for calculating the resultant gravitational force on spherical objects?

The formula for calculating the resultant gravitational force on spherical objects is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between the centers of the objects.

2. How do I determine the direction of the resultant gravitational force?

The direction of the resultant gravitational force is always towards the center of mass of the objects. This means that the force will be pulling the objects towards each other.

3. Can the resultant gravitational force be negative?

Yes, the resultant gravitational force can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction, pushing the objects away from each other.

4. How does the distance between the objects affect the resultant gravitational force?

The distance between the objects has a direct impact on the resultant gravitational force. As the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, where the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

5. Is the resultant gravitational force affected by the masses of the objects?

Yes, the resultant gravitational force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects. This means that as the masses increase, the force also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.