How can the atomic radius of any atom be accurately calculated?

In summary: I did not get what I was looking for...You could calculate the Bohr Radius of an atom, although it only applies to single electron species(like Hydrogen)
omax
hello, I was wondering how the atomic radii where calculated.
I have used the formula r=[itex]\frac{a_{o}n}{z*/n*}[/itex]

where z* is effective nuclear charge
and n* is the effective principal quantum number
but it seems to give me a bit different radii compared to the ones on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_radius

so can anyone be kind enough to tell me an equation from which I can calculate the atomic radius of any atom. I couldn't find any on the net.

by the way this is my first post :D

and thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That formula is only for single electron atoms. With more electrons, the calculation is much more complicated, but the radius is usually about half an Angstrom.

so can you please let me know the formula or just give me a helpful link.

OP, this does not work:
(i) atoms do not have sharp boundaries. What is an "atomic radius" is a matter of definition, and many exist for different purposes (e.g., can der Waals radius, covalent radius, "radius at which the electron density falls below value xxx"), etc.

(ii) even if you have a clear definition, calculating its actual numerical value requires an approximate solution of the atomic Schrödinger equation. That can, in practice, only be done by specialized software (quantum chemistry packages, e.g., Molpro, Orca, Gaussian) which implement methods like Hartree-Fock or Kohn-Sham density functional theory. The result is not a simple formula.

omax said:
so can you please let me know the formula or just give me a helpful link.

The "real world" often has no one simple formula. The larger the atom, the more complexity it can have. By the time you get beyond the He atom, a lot of the description of the atom are based on approximations and calculation/computational schemes, as described by cgk.

Zz.

anyway thanks for answering, although I did not get what I was looking for...

You could calculate the Bohr Radius of an atom, although it only applies to single electron species(like Hydrogen)

R=(n^2*h^2ε0)∏mZe^2

Where,
n=orbit number
h= Plank's constant
ε0= Permittivity of Free Space
m=mass of an electron
Z= Atomic number
e= Electronic Charge

sankarshana016 said:
You could calculate the Bohr Radius of an atom, although it only applies to single electron species(like Hydrogen)

R=(n^2*h^2ε0)∏mZe^2

Where,
n=orbit number
h= Plank's constant
ε0= Permittivity of Free Space
m=mass of an electron
Z= Atomic number
e= Electronic Charge

Did you even read the first post of the thread to figure out the problem?

...but it seems to give me a bit different radii compared to the ones on Wikipedia...

This was the whole point of the OP's question, that this simplistic model doesn't work for actual atoms!

Zz.

1. What is atomic radius?

The atomic radius is a measure of the size of an atom, specifically the distance from the center of the nucleus to the outermost electron orbital.

2. How is atomic radius calculated?

Atomic radius can be calculated using various methods, including X-ray crystallography, electron diffraction, and theoretical calculations based on the electron density distribution of an atom.

3. What factors affect atomic radius?

The main factors that affect atomic radius are the number of protons in the nucleus (atomic number), the number of electron shells, and the strength of the attractive force between the electrons and the nucleus.

4. What is the trend for atomic radius on the periodic table?

Atomic radius generally decreases from left to right across a period and increases from top to bottom within a group on the periodic table. This is due to the increasing number of protons and electron shells as you move across a period and the increasing size of the electron orbitals as you move down a group.

5. How is atomic radius related to other atomic properties?

Atomic radius is closely related to other atomic properties such as ionization energy, electron affinity, and electronegativity. As atomic radius decreases, ionization energy and electronegativity tend to increase, while electron affinity decreases.