Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of Lorentz Force in Generator and its mass equivalence

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1
    Greetings All -
    Per F=BIL I can calculate quantity of Force on coil (or magnet), when I draw certain amount of current from the generator.
    So I need help in calculating the Force and then weight equivalent of it. Let's say I have Single coil [with 300 turns] generator [wire length = 92 meter], when I move that coil over Magnets in short circuit condition, I sense the opposite force [F] as current [I = 5 amp] passes through the coil. I calculate the amount of opposite force, being exerted on coil for that current as: B = (0.5 T)

F = 0.5 * 5 * 92 = 230 N/Amp.m [Am I correct in Units?], this means I feel the force of 230 N/Amp.m continuously.

Now I want to know how can I relate this force to weight equivalent? I mean when I hold 1 kg weight in my hand I feel F = 9.8 kg.m/s.s

Any help?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted