Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is the Lorentz force calculated in Ansys Maxwell so low?

1. Aug 22, 2015 #1
    Why is the Lorentz force calculated in Ansys so low? According to the formula F=B*I*l, it is supposed to be at least 1000 times higher. The model is really simple: a magnetically conductive plate in a static magnetic field inducts the magnetic field from the surrounding space, which makes its own magnetic field dozens of times stronger than in the surrounding vacuum (which is perfectly logical) - around 10 mT. A 10 A electric current runs perpendicular to this magnetic field in the plate. According to the formula, F=B*I*l=10-2*10*1=0.1 N, but the program produces results in the range of 10-4 N for the Lorentz force. I have tried both 3D and 2D models and the result is nearly identical. What am I missing?

p.s. I can attach my project file if it helps

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2015 #2
    just in case the project archive

Attached Files:

4. Jan 27, 2017 #3
    Hello, did you find the answer to this? I have the same problem...
    Regards
    Mario

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted