Calculations for impulse magnetising device

In summary, the speaker is searching for a suitable electrical forum to address their issue of needing a magnetizing machine for their service and rewind company. They have found some options in Germany and Belgium, but they are too expensive for their needs. The speaker is seeking help with calculations and PCB design to build the machine themselves. However, they mention that building a magnetizing machine is difficult and requires high amounts of energy and materials.
Boris_Slo
Hello,
I have been looking for a decent electrical forum for quite some time now.

Here is my problem. I own a service and rewind company where we rewind and service electrical motors. We also repair servo motors. A lot of times, due to bearing failure, the magnets on the rotor overheat and demagnetise. So I need to build a magnetising machine on the principal of capacitor discharge.
I would need help with calculations about capacity of the system, PCB design. I am able to build everything myself.
Or if someone knows a company that sell this equipment. I found a few in Germany and Belgium, but they sell industrial product meant for serial production and the cost of those machines is too much for me.

Regards,
Boris

Engineering news on Phys.org
A magnetizing machine is always BIG, because it must achieve several tesla, for which no magnetic core material exists, so this need many MW, and also many kJ.

In principle it's nothing more than a capacitor discharged through a thyristor into a coil, but when you put the induction and volume required, you get immediately uncomfortable figures which are unavoidable, and then losses add up, and you get tens of kA and capacitors taking 1m3...

1. What is an impulse magnetising device?

An impulse magnetising device is a scientific instrument that is used to create a strong and short-lived magnetic field. It works by sending a large amount of electrical current through a coil, which generates a magnetic pulse that can be used to magnetise objects or materials.

2. How does an impulse magnetising device work?

An impulse magnetising device works by passing a high-voltage electrical current through a coil of wire, creating a strong magnetic field. This magnetic field can then be used to magnetise ferromagnetic materials, such as iron or steel. The strength and duration of the magnetic pulse can be controlled by adjusting the electrical current and the number of turns in the coil.

3. What are the applications of an impulse magnetising device?

Impulse magnetising devices have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in the production of permanent magnets, the testing of magnetic materials, and in the demagnetisation of components for manufacturing purposes. They are also used in research and development for studying the properties of magnetic fields.

4. How accurate are the calculations for an impulse magnetising device?

The accuracy of the calculations for an impulse magnetising device depends on various factors, such as the design of the device, the properties of the materials being magnetised, and the skill of the operator. With proper calibration and maintenance, an impulse magnetising device can provide accurate and consistent results.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when using an impulse magnetising device?

As with any scientific instrument, safety precautions should be taken when using an impulse magnetising device. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and following proper procedures for handling high-voltage electrical currents. It is also important to carefully monitor the device and ensure that it is properly grounded to avoid any potential hazards.