1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 1: Finding the maxima and minima of the function 1-x^(2/3)

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given the problem "A function is defined by f(x) = 1-x^(2/3).

a. find the minima and maxima of the function. State whether they are relative or absolute.

b. graph the function."

2. Relevant equations

I found the derivative and set it equal to zero. y' = -(2/3)x^(-1/3), -(2/3)x^(-1/3) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I really have little idea of where to go from here because I am left with a few questions. If i set the derivative equal to zero and set x to be zero would the statement "-(2/3)0^(-1/3) = 0" be true or would I essentially be dividing by zero because x^(-1/3) = 1/ [itex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex]? Now if this is a spot where the velocity is zero would you consider it a max, a min, or would it be irrelevant to my answer because you can't quite classify it either way. I think it is simply an interesting value on the graph, but is neither a maximum or minimum relative or absolute, and this graph has no maxes or mins.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sketch a graph. You are correct that the derivative at x=0 doesn't exist. It still might be a max or a min. It's an "interesting point" as you put it.

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook