Calculus 1: Finding the maxima and minima of the function 1-x^(2/3)

In summary, the problem is to find the minima and maxima of a function defined by f(x) = 1-x^(2/3), and to graph the function. To find these points, the derivative is set equal to zero and solved for x. However, at x=0, the derivative does not exist and it is unclear if this point is a max or min. The graph may have interesting points at x=0, but they cannot be classified as relative or absolute maxima or minima.
dez_cole

Homework Statement

I am given the problem "A function is defined by f(x) = 1-x^(2/3).

a. find the minima and maxima of the function. State whether they are relative or absolute.

b. graph the function."

Homework Equations

I found the derivative and set it equal to zero. y' = -(2/3)x^(-1/3), -(2/3)x^(-1/3) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I really have little idea of where to go from here because I am left with a few questions. If i set the derivative equal to zero and set x to be zero would the statement "-(2/3)0^(-1/3) = 0" be true or would I essentially be dividing by zero because x^(-1/3) = 1/ [itex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex]? Now if this is a spot where the velocity is zero would you consider it a max, a min, or would it be irrelevant to my answer because you can't quite classify it either way. I think it is simply an interesting value on the graph, but is neither a maximum or minimum relative or absolute, and this graph has no maxes or mins.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch a graph. You are correct that the derivative at x=0 doesn't exist. It still might be a max or a min. It's an "interesting point" as you put it.

Thanks again.

1. What is the purpose of finding the maxima and minima of a function?

The purpose of finding the maxima and minima of a function is to determine the highest and lowest points on the graph of the function, which can provide valuable information about the behavior and characteristics of the function.

2. How do you find the maxima and minima of a function?

To find the maxima and minima of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the value of x that makes the derivative equal to zero. This value of x represents the critical point where the maxima or minima may occur. You can then use the second derivative test or plug in values on either side of the critical point to determine if it is a maxima or minima.

3. What is the second derivative test?

The second derivative test is a method used to determine if a critical point is a maxima or minima. It involves taking the second derivative of the function and plugging in the critical point. If the value is positive, the critical point is a minima, and if the value is negative, the critical point is a maxima. If the second derivative is equal to zero, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

4. Can a function have more than one maxima or minima?

Yes, a function can have multiple maxima and minima. These points can occur at different values of x and can have varying heights on the graph of the function.

5. What is the significance of the exponent in the function 1-x^(2/3)?

The exponent in the function 1-x^(2/3) represents the power to which the variable x is raised. In this case, it is raised to the 2/3 power, which means that the function will have a curve with a steeper slope and a sharper turn at the origin compared to a function with a smaller exponent.