Calculus and Analytic Geometry

In summary, the person is asking about the course "Calculus and Analytic Geometry" and when it is typically offered. They also want to know if it is more difficult than the Calculus 3 course and what topics are covered in the course. They mention being impressed by a textbook with the same title and note that not all textbooks are meant to be read cover to cover. They also mention using a different textbook for self-study and recommend David Cohen's Third Edition for Precalculus.
mathdad
My question is not a math question.
I know about the calculus sequence (CAL 1, 2 and 3). I plan to go through all 3 in time. There is no rush for me. However, I know there is a course by the title of Calculus and Analytic Geometry. I want to know when this course is given. Is it given after Calculus 3? Is the course harder than Calculus 3? What is the course all about? I like the title.

Physics news on Phys.org
That was what the Calc I-III courses I took had in their titles. I would say most schools have elementary calculus courses that include treatments of analytic (coordinate) geometry. It was also taught in our Pre-Calculus course, but of course you can do more with it after learning some calculus. It included things like conic sections and translation/rotation of axes.

Back in the 1990s, a former friend had a textbook by the title Calculus and Analytic Geometry. I was so impressed with the math content, but of course, did not grasp one single page. I remember the book was very tedious and thick. There must have been over 300 pages and heavy.

My old Calc textbook is nearly 1200 pages, but it served for 3 terms. :)

RTCNTC said:
Back in the 1990s, a former friend had a textbook by the title Calculus and Analytic Geometry. I was so impressed with the math content, but of course, did not grasp one single page. I remember the book was very tedious and thick. There must have been over 300 pages and heavy.

Remember not all books are intended to be read cover to cover :p. Although one can often benefit from doing so.

My differential equations lecturer often referred to our text as a 'phone book' in the sense that it's primary purpose is to serve as a reference for looking up theorems or definitions etc. Such books do not cater well to the autodidact however.

MarkFL said:
My old Calc textbook is nearly 1200 pages, but it served for 3 terms. :)

I purchased one of those to use after completing my David Cohen Precalculus self-study (not every question, of course). I still have not found a better Precalculus book than David Cohen's Third Edition.

Related to Calculus and Analytic Geometry

1. What is calculus and analytic geometry?

Calculus and analytic geometry are two branches of mathematics that are used to study and analyze functions and their corresponding graphs. Calculus deals with the rate of change of quantities and uses derivatives and integrals to solve problems, while analytic geometry uses algebraic methods to study geometric shapes and their properties.

2. What are the applications of calculus and analytic geometry?

Calculus and analytic geometry have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, calculus is used to determine the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion and to optimize functions in economics. Analytic geometry is used to study the shape and position of objects in space.

3. What are the main concepts in calculus?

The main concepts in calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of functions as the input approaches a certain value. Derivatives are used to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. Integrals are used to find the total accumulation of a quantity over an interval.

4. What are the main concepts in analytic geometry?

The main concepts in analytic geometry include points, lines, circles, and conic sections. These concepts are used to study and analyze geometric shapes and their properties using algebraic methods. Additionally, vectors and matrices are also important concepts in analytic geometry.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus and analytic geometry?

To improve your understanding of calculus and analytic geometry, it is important to practice solving problems and to seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. You can also use online resources, such as videos and interactive tutorials, to supplement your learning. Additionally, it is helpful to review and reinforce the fundamental concepts regularly.